Author Topic: Fresh jalapenos  (Read 3144 times)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Fresh jalapenos
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:33 AM »
Hi All

Has anyone come across fresh jalapeno peppers anywhere my local Indian shops only sell finger chillies, bull chillies and scotch bonnet but i would like some fresh jalapenos i have pickled so anyone know let me know please.

cheers
Jamie

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh jalapenos
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Jamie

Our Asian grocers sell jalapenos as well as the ones you mention - maybe it's a Scottish thing.

Steve

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Hi jamie
I've seen overpriced little packets of three or four in ASDA
Maybe an option for you.
cheers chewy

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Hi All

Has anyone come across fresh jalapeno peppers anywhere my local Indian shops only sell finger chillies, bull chillies and scotch bonnet but i would like some fresh jalapenos i have pickled so anyone know let me know please.

cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Your thread doesn't make sense to me. Do you want fresh Jalapeno Chillies to pickle yourself or do you want to buy a jar of pickled Jalapeno's?

I haven't seen fresh Jalapeno Chillies here for sale at a reasonable price, but, "Discovery" do jars of sliced Jalapeno peppers in the "Foods of the world" section in Sainsbury's where you would find all the mexican taco bits and pieces, and I am sure most supermarkets stock these as well.

Alternatively, I have bought previously a packet of Jalapeno seeds and grow my own, then I use a few of these each year, to remove the seeds, dry them and sow them the next year :)

Hope this helps...

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Hi bar

I am after some fresh jalapenos to use in my achari ghost i have pickled which as you say are widely available in jars,I knocked a batch of CT's base up last night and want some for the dish tomorrow i'll check the local asda see if they have any.

Jamie

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Hi bar

I am after some fresh jalapenos to use in my achari ghost i have pickled which as you say are widely available in jars,I knocked a batch of CT's base up last night and want some for the dish tomorrow i'll check the local asda see if they have any.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

If they don't then use the pickled ones, but run them under cold water in a sieve first. They will lose the "pickled" flavour but should retain the heat and taste :)

©2024 Curry Recipes