Author Topic: condensed milk in base gravy  (Read 6032 times)

Offline stetip

• Chef
    • View Profile
condensed milk in base gravy
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Is the purpose of condensed milk in the base just for sweetness
in the finished dish or is it used to thicken the sauce.
The reason i'm asking is i made a base over the weekend and
added some condensed milk to see what results i would get.
I made a dhansak which was good and a madras which was ok
but the base seemed to thicken up more than i was used to.
I've only made two bases previously and would like some info
regarding this addition.

cheers

Steve

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: condensed milk in base gravy
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Steve

Condensed milk is not one of the common items found in a base. Indeed some people think that a finished base should not be thick but quite liquid. I don't really use condensed milk in any recipe either, apart from being combined with coconut and ground almonds to make a filling for peshwari naan.

Do you mean you added condensed milk to your curry? If that's the case then the condensed milk could have a thickening effect of the sauce. However the usual way to thicken a sauce is to reduce it down (like they do in contemporary non Indian cookery) to the required consistency.

I've never heard of condensed milk in a Dhansak or Madras but maybe others have?

Offline stetip

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Steve,
The condensed milk was in the base gravy not the actual curry dish.
The base was thin in texture like thin soup. It just seemed to thicken up quickly
at the frying stage so i had to keep adding more base to maintain the consistency.

steve

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Steve

Condensed milk would thicken most things I think - see what it does when combined with sugar to make tablet! It could be having a similar effect on your base but as i said in terms of base ingredients it's a new one to me.

Steve

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:48 PM »
I'm not sure about condensed milk but the recent video footage from CBM confirms that Carnation Evaporated milk is definitely used by at least one BIR chef.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8242.0

It's a new gravy ingredient to me,not sure what it's intended purpose is,maybe to add a bit of sweetness just as some chefs add palm sugar(jaggery).

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:06 PM »
For those who may not be aware of the base gravy used by Shah in some of my previous videos,
he also used Evaporated milk in his base.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline stetip

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Big penny just dropped. Used condensed milk instead of evaporated milk. New something wasn't quite right.
I will make a new base and scrap this one. Thats why you guys are here to help.
Cheers lads

Steve.

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09 AM »
I was speaking to the owner of a take away whilst the meal was being cooked and I asked him what he puts into his base. The reply was identical to the recipe that cbm has videoed. I asked him for a tray of his base to take home to which he obliged and to be honest it did taste really good and yes the carnation milk adds a slight sweetish taste, the base also had a slight kick of the fresh chillies that he added.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 01:12 AM »
I added some evaporated milk to the base I made at weekend after watching CBM's video.

It certainly adds something. I can't categorically state what. I wouldn't stress if I didn't add any to my next base, but if there is some at hand, I will probably use it again.

Didn't thicken up though. Quite the opposite. Took a lot longer to thicken, or maybe I am making my bases runnier now with more experience...I don't know.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:45 AM »
Do we think that maybe the evaporated milk used is to make the base a little more creamier - lets face it - it isnt that sweet to make a huge difference to the sweetness - albeit a little bit - i would agree

Creamier

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes