Author Topic: Restaurant Vindaloo 1980's style  (Read 7452 times)

Offline NE5

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Restaurant Vindaloo 1980's style
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:01 AM »
hello, I'm new to here and I see lots of recipes for restaurant style curries.

I have been cooking curries for many years, and used to subscribe to Pat Chapmans curry club, searching for the elusive 1980's style restaurant vindaloo.

I'll look through all the recipes in time, but I have never been able to find this recipe. Most curries now seem to be basic curries with added chilli, but the flavour from 20+ years ago was a thin hot and sour sauce, not so "tomato" based as it seems to be now.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant Vindaloo 1980's style
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:21 AM »
hello, I'm new to here and I see lots of recipes for restaurant style curries.

I have been cooking curries for many years, and used to subscribe to Pat Chapmans curry club, searching for the elusive 1980's style restaurant vindaloo.

I'll look through all the recipes in time, but I have never been able to find this recipe. Most curries now seem to be basic curries with added chilli, but the flavour from 20+ years ago was a thin hot and sour sauce, not so "tomato" based as it seems to be now.
probably when they use to boil old chickens,boil them to death. As they were old and tough that how when you asked for a chicken portion it was a long like leg different from todays chicken breasts all the best in your search PS the sour is lemon or maybe use to use a little vinegar  vind = vinegar aloo =potato

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40 AM »
As I understand it, Terry, "vin" = wine and "aloo" = garlic (from the dish's Portugese origins).

And "vinegar" and, particularly, "potato" are misinterpretations of the original meaning of the dish.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:45 AM »
As I understand it, Terry, "vin" = wine and "aloo" = garlic (from the dish's Portugese origins).

And "vinegar" and, particularly, "potato" are misinterpretations of the original meaning of the dish.

100% correct young man :D

History
The name Vindaloo is derived from the Portuguese dish "Carne de Vinha d' Alhos", which is a dish of meat, usually pork, with wine and garlic.[2] The Portuguese dish was modified by the substitution of vinegar (usually palm vinegar) for the red wine and the addition of red Kashmiri chillies with additional spices to evolve into Vindaloo.[3] Alternative terms are vindalho or vindallo.

As Dawe stated in 1888, vindaloo is actually Portuguese in origin, though it comes from the Indian subcontinent. The name too is ultimately Portuguese, from the phrase vinho de alho or "wine of garlic." Portuguese sailors brought their garlic-flavored vinegar stew to Goa, which from 1510 to 1961 was a Portuguese colony on the southwestern coast of India. The Goans spiced up the recipe and the name, making it vindaloo in their Konkani language, a member of the Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European language family. The English tongue has only vindaloo from Konkani.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/vindaloo#ixzz1tnbw8FDV

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/vindaloo#ixzz1tnZrLYwI

Les
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:57 AM by Les »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:55 PM »
NE5,

we would all love to crack this. this is where i'm upto. i now know the lip burn is down to chewytikka's nagga pickle sauce. i've yet to re try the dish with this included.

2 things i know is no vinegar and really the green chilli need to be birds eye.

it's real disappointment for me in both TA and restaurant as these days it's served as a hot madras when it ain't.

the curry2go addition of a red kashmiri chilli is something else i want to add in. CA's is a real good starting point.

based around site recipes but adding in ashoka south Indian sauce: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5224.msg53844#msg53844
CA's: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3953.0
curry2go: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6318.msg63597#msg63597

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:18 AM »
PS the sour is lemon or maybe use to use a little vinegar  vind = vinegar aloo =potato

I think you may well be right. I reckon the only relevant history here is what went on in 1980s era BIR kitchens. I doubt if that had very much to do with Portuguese origins. Do you have a recipe for the sort of vindaloo you have in mind, or perhaps you've already published one on the forum?

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Is it a regional thing; potato in Vindaloo? I've never had any when I've ordered it. It's in every Vindaloo in Paris, but that bears no reesemblance to any BIR curry.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 05:30 PM »
I think you may well be right. I reckon the only relevant history here is what went on in 1980s era BIR kitchens. I doubt if that had very much to do with Portuguese origins.

George, you might be absolutely correct, with regard to NE5's original question (regarding "the elusive BIR style vindaloo"), but, if we are talking about the original meaning of the word "vindaloo" (which Terry was, and which may or may not, thereore, be relevant) then my correction remains valid (i.e relevant)!  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 05:32 PM »
fried - I think most BIR curries have regional variations - we have had threads that refer to London Dhansak, Glasgow Pakora etc. I too have had curry in Paris and was not particularly impressed. As for potato in Vindaloo, Bruce Edwards used it in his Curry House Cookery recipes but Kris Dhillon doesn't use it in The New Curry Secret - horses for courses perhaps?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28 PM »
As for potato in Vindaloo, Bruce Edwards used it in his Curry House Cookery recipes but Kris Dhillon doesn't use it in The New Curry Secret - horses for courses perhaps?

That says it all then! Whilst I reckon Bruce Edward's recipes and ideas have much merit, I'm sorry to say I don't rate KD's input beyond credit due for introducing us to the general concept of base gravy.

©2024 Curry Recipes