Author Topic: Vegetable Rhogan Josh  (Read 27201 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable Rhogan Josh
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 07:50 AM »
I'm really pleased
This is a meal that has strong additional flavours to the base (fenugreek leaves and fried garlic)
So the end result, doesn't rely on the subtle flavour of the base
It comes out very close to what you buy
The meals like vindaloo and madras seem harder to get right
I'm cooking  again this weekend
I have made the Rajver base
Flipping heck, it's hot
Chilli powder and chillies!

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 06:13 PM »
Hi Pete -

I tried this dish twice , both with excellent results . I added a slight variation to the theme ingredients the second time - the addition of a little yogurt .

CC

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 08:48 AM »
Hi CC
        I'm really pleased it worked out
I have seen some recipes using yoghurt
Bruce Edwards puts in into his pre cooked ingredients
I'll try that next time I do it
At the minute I am making a batch of curry gravy, but have had delays for cooking the meals
So this is the the third day it's been on the stove
As it gets older it looks it looks and smells very similar to the gravies I have seen in takeaways.
The oil looks a deep red and there is very strong savoury smell from the smallest amount of oil.

Do you remember ifindforu ?
He posted quite a bit on this site
I have taken one of his "tips"
He might be right about this information
He said that restaurants use chicken seasoning in their base
I am doing a "4 onion, 1 carrot, 1 green pepper, garlic/ginger" curry base recipe, and I added 3 desert spoons of chicken seasoning to it.
I compared the taste to a vindaloo curry, I bought last night, and it's ever so similar
I'll definitely use chicken seasoning again

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 12:52 PM »
I'm sure that my local uses Chicken seasoning in many of its dishes.

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 01:08 PM »
hi pete

how did you get on with the rajver sauce? i have said that you can cut down on the no. of chillies you put in the base.what did you make using this base? how was it compared to the others you have used with the exception of the heat. did you use the masala and did you add any extra water to get the right consistency. the heat does mellow with time and i have kept the sauce in the fridge for a week with no adverse side effects but i stil think if you use the oil saved from you deep fryer that has had onion bhajis and peppers etc the smell when cooking the final dish is fab. made a vindaloo last night took of the heat when done covered but before left it i sprinkled garlic powder liberally over the top then left for 10 minutes before eating certainly added bit extra something and a little garlic heat yummy ;)

regards

gary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 06:41 PM »
The chef at one of my locals does admit to using both chicken or beef stock as well as poultry seasoning . The seasoning that they use contains red pepper flakes , onion powder , salt , sage , celery seed , garlic powder , thyme , marjoram ,  tarragon , paprika , rosemary and mustard powder . I wouldn't suggest using too much poultry seasoning ,  otherwise the dish might be too " foul " .  ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 08:49 PM »
;D ;D I don't know how you plucking think you'll eggspect with comments like that? ;D ;D

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2006, 08:57 PM »
 ;D

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2006, 10:02 PM »
Hi Pete,

This base that you have had good results from, how much oil did you add at the start?  I am a little confused about the chicken seasoning, which one are you using?  Is it liquid or a dry seasoning?  I will try this base on your reply and let you know what results I get.  Sounds interesting!  I assume that you are using enough oil so that you can use it to start dishes off from the top of the gravy.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Hi Pete,

This base that you have had good results from, how much oil did you add at the start?? I am a little confused about the chicken seasoning, which one are you using?? Is it liquid or a dry seasoning?? I will try this base on your reply and let you know what results I get.? Sounds interesting!? I assume that you are using enough oil so that you can use it to start dishes off from the top of the gravy.

Hi CQ
? ? ? ? the chicken seasoning is a dry mix of spices
I think Rajah , Natco and East End all make it
I used Rajah
Check
http://www.simplyspice.co.uk/chicken-seasoning-p-313.html
I used about 200ml of oil in the base so I got enough spiced oil (like you said)
email me

hi pete

how did you get on with the rajver sauce? i have said that you can cut down on the no. of chillies you put in the base.what did you make using this base? how was it compared to the others you have used with the exception of the heat. did you use the masala and did you add any extra water to get the right consistency. the heat does mellow with time and i have kept the sauce in the fridge for a week with no adverse side effects but i stil think if you use the oil saved from you deep fryer that has had onion bhajis and peppers etc the smell when cooking the final dish is fab. made a vindaloo last night took of the heat when done covered but before left it i sprinkled garlic powder liberally over the top then left for 10 minutes before eating certainly added bit extra something and a little garlic heat yummy ;)

regards

gary

Hi Gary
? ? ? ? ? I thought the base was good but when I compared it to a sample takeaway base I have, it seemed too spicy.
I did water it down, I don't know what the curry was, I made with it
It was just a general oil, garlic ginger puree, tomato paste, spice, gravy thing
Still very nice though
Which Masala are you referring to?
If it's the spice mix, you mean, it was the Bruce Edwards proportions

? ? ? ? ?

©2024 Curry Recipes