Author Topic: 3 curries for dinner  (Read 4925 times)

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 3 curries for dinner
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Nice work Whandsy !!

I'm on a mission today too having cooked 10 portions of pilau rice I'm just about to do 10 bases and enough garlic / ginger paste to last a month. Tonight I'm going to try Dips Chicken Tikka Biriani and the accompanying veg curry for a change .

Your pics look great too !!    :)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Thanks Colin, good luck with curryathon ;) let us know how you get on

Hey Whandsy

Those curries look fantastic mate! I have not tried the NIS or the Roshney before. Maybe I should give them a try!

Also the base gravy looks great too! I also have been cooking this weekend, and paid more attention to getting the base gravy right. I was cooking it (start to finish) for about 4-5 hours to get a similar result to your picture. I used the Bangladeshi base from Julian's eBook.

May I ask how long you cooked the C2Go Base for?

Thanks for the comments tongey, regards the base, I used C2G's 3 litre Bangladeshi base method, but did it in a pressure cooker, so after coming up to heat it only took about 40 mins to get to that onion melting point, after the blitzing I continued as per his method, adding spices and double quantity water. It probably lightly boiled / frothed for about 20 mins which is when the base cooked and released the oils. Then I added more water as his instruction to get to the required consistency. I find that once the oil has separated, no matter how much you stir it back in, it wil re surface once heated again so you know it's ready to use

Good luck pal

W

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Thanks Colin, good luck with curryathon ;) let us know how you get on

Hey Whandsy

Those curries look fantastic mate! I have not tried the NIS or the Roshney before. Maybe I should give them a try!

Also the base gravy looks great too! I also have been cooking this weekend, and paid more attention to getting the base gravy right. I was cooking it (start to finish) for about 4-5 hours to get a similar result to your picture. I used the Bangladeshi base from Julian's eBook.

May I ask how long you cooked the C2Go Base for?

Thanks for the comments tongey, regards the base, I used C2G's 3 litre Bangladeshi base method, but did it in a pressure cooker, so after coming up to heat it only took about 40 mins to get to that onion melting point, after the blitzing I continued as per his method, adding spices and double quantity water. It probably lightly boiled / frothed for about 20 mins which is when the base cooked and released the oils. Then I added more water as his instruction to get to the required consistency. I find that once the oil has separated, no matter how much you stir it back in, it wil re surface once heated again so you know it's ready to use

Good luck pal

W

Cheers Whandsy

I am thinking I should get myself a pressure cooker then... I did the 3 litre bangladeshi base and was cooking it for around 4 hours including cooling and blitzing!! The actual frothing and oil release took about an hour, maybe hour and half!!    Not sure if I am doing something wrong or my "low light" on my cooker is less than his  ;D

Still I got the right result in the end. Pictures of the base are here..
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8189.100

©2024 Curry Recipes