Author Topic: Lamb Tikka  (Read 20421 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Tikka
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 09:02 AM »
I read a tip on the other site about using mashed kiwi fruit as a tenderiser for mutton.
Certainly a lot easier to source than papaya  ;)
Maybe start with half a kiwi fruit in the tikka marinade to see how it affects the flavour and texture.
For me personally, i like some bite to my lamb tikka rather than melt in the mouth.

Frank.  :)

Hi Frank,

I too like a little bite in my Lamb Tikka, it's when you have to chew like a camel that puts me off!!

I've made the Lamb Tikka exactly as I would the Chickem Tikka and I put the lamb in lemon juice in a bag and left it for a good 20 minutes before adding the marinade itself. I had noticed prior to putting in the marinade how much the lemon juice had already got to work on the lamb as it was really opaque, so I am hoping this has tenderised the lamb enough to still be soft with a bite but not too chewy :)

I'll post later once made :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 09:08 AM »
When I grill Lamb Tikka I try and make sure the pieces are not too thick. I think there would be a danger of the meat going off if marinaded for a week though.

Thanks for the tip Stephen.

I've bought all the ingredients to try your mint sauce recipe with the Lamb Tikka later :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Ok Lamb Tikka now done.

I heated the oven to 140 degrees centigrade, placed some foil in the bottom of a roasting pan, placed the tikka on top then covered with foil. Made a few holes in the foil and popped into the oven for 20 minutes.

Removed from the oven and placed on skewers where I finished off on the BBQ for between 5-8 minutes with the lid closed.

The result? Lean lamb that is firm but not chewy and that smokey taste. I'm really impressed with this result :)

Here's the recipe I use and a couple of pictures.

Lamb Tikka

Ingredients
1 kg leg of lamb cut into 2 inch chunks
1 heaped tablespoon Pataks tikka curry paste
1 heaped tablespoon Pataks tandoori paste
1 heaped tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice (Jiff is ok)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 desert spoon spice mixture (10ml) see below.
1/4 tsp Red food colouring
1 level tsp methi (Fenugreek leaves)
1 level tsp salt
1 tablespoon veg oil
3 tablespoon water
Bunch fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped

Spice  Mixture
8 parts ground coriander
7 parts turmeric
5 parts ground cumin
4 parts curry powder
4 parts paprika (optional)

Method
Mix in 2 tablespoons lemon juice to the cubed lamb, leave for 15-20 mins
Meanwhile mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
Add the runny spice mixture to the chicken, cover and leave in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. I leave it for 48 hours.
Heat an oven to 140 degrees centigrade, place some foil in the bottom of a roasting tin and place the tikka on top. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile fire up the charcoal bbq
Remove the tikka from the oven and place on skewers
Finish the tikka off for between 5-8 minutes on the bbq for that smokey taste

Lamb Tikka prior to roasting

Lamb Tikka straight off the BBQ

You could add more food colouring or even a spoonful of tandoori masala to the mix for a deeper red colour, but for me as long as the flavour is there, then that's all that matters :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Nice one Bob.  That looks very tasty.  Will give this one a try.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 03:36 PM »
Nice one Bob.  That looks very tasty.  Will give this one a try.

Thanks CH, I know not quite a "BIR" techniqe, but lamb is so expensive, so you can't afford to get it wrong really.

I was thinking today that maybe marinading for 4 days instead of 2 might make it tender enough to just cook on the BBQ?

I don't think cutting the cubes any less than 2 inches would work really as the lamb does shrink considerably when cooking and I think smaller cubes would dry out and not give moist tender lamb..

So whilst I am happy with this, I will not give up on trying other techniques :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 05:13 PM »
When it comes to lamb tikka i'm not quite sure what the answer is to getting it tender.  I've never had it in a restaurant in case it is chewy.  I only now have it in a curry because i do it in the slow cooker.  And it is so expensive, you certainly don't want any waste, bearing in mind it  reduces in size before your very eyes when cooking>:(

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 06:31 PM »
When it comes to lamb tikka i'm not quite sure what the answer is to getting it tender.  I've never had it in a restaurant in case it is chewy.  I only now have it in a curry because i do it in the slow cooker.  And it is so expensive, you certainly don't want any waste, bearing in mind it  reduces in size before your very eyes when cooking>:(

Hi CH,

Let me alay your fears. Tonight I made Lamb Tikka as a main course, with salad and mint sauce. The Lamb Tikka was so tender and moist. I've never seen my daughter eat so fast in all my life!! :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 08:35 PM »
976 that's exactly the size I cut my lamb too - your pic looks amazing.

Steve

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 07:49 AM »
976 that's exactly the size I cut my lamb too - your pic looks amazing.

Steve

I made your mint sauce to go with that lamb tikka which was really lovely. The only thing I did wrong was put all the greek yogurt in the mini blender to smooth out the mango chutney and it ended up too runny, but the flavour was there. I only added 1 tsp sugar as I thought the mango chutney gave it a more natural sweetnes.

Next time I will only add a bit of yogurt to the blender and when the chutney is smooth I'll just spoon in the rest for a thicker consistency.

Nice recipe Stephen :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 10:24 AM »
976bar,

efforts much appreciated - am in no doubt all would like to crack this.

the oven method i can see working - for bbq chicken legs i've found you have to pre cook in the oven to make sure they cook through before finishing on the bbq. no one can tell they have not been cooked solely on the bbq.

i've added a "long" marinade on my to do list.

ps that main course pic is very interesting. can you give more detail. i intend to buy a "sizzler" plate. it was recommended to me as a way of improving karahi dishes ie pre sizzle the meat before adding into the karahi curry dish.

©2024 Curry Recipes