Author Topic: Lamb Tikka  (Read 20412 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Tikka
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 11:34 AM »
976bar,

efforts much appreciated - am in no doubt all would like to crack this.

the oven method i can see working - for bbq chicken legs i've found you have to pre cook in the oven to make sure they cook through before finishing on the bbq. no one can tell they have not been cooked solely on the bbq.

i've added a "long" marinade on my to do list.

ps that main course pic is very interesting. can you give more detail. i intend to buy a "sizzler" plate. it was recommended to me as a way of improving karahi dishes ie pre sizzle the meat before adding into the karahi curry dish.

Morning Jerry,

I just put the sizzler plate on a low heat for about 10 minutes, then turned the heat up added a drizzle of oil then put the onion slices and sliced red pepper on. The immediate infusion of the onion and pepper cooking is addictive. I left these to cook for about 3 minutes, turning them otherwise they will burn, then I added the lamb tikka and tossed the lot around the sizzler for about five minutes until the onions and peppers were cooked and the lamb was warmed through but not too much so as to dry it out.

Result? Heaven :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 12:07 PM »
976 that's exactly the size I cut my lamb too - your pic looks amazing.

Steve

I made your mint sauce to go with that lamb tikka which was really lovely. The only thing I did wrong was put all the greek yogurt in the mini blender to smooth out the mango chutney and it ended up too runny, but the flavour was there. I only added 1 tsp sugar as I thought the mango chutney gave it a more natural sweetnes.

Next time I will only add a bit of yogurt to the blender and when the chutney is smooth I'll just spoon in the rest for a thicker consistency.

Nice recipe Stephen :)

976 I've done that as well with the blender. I've made it with the cheapest smart price yoghurt and nice Greek yoghurt - both work well and I agree the chutney gives most of the sweetness it needs.

Steve

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 04:45 PM »
instead of mango chutney try mango pulp!( you can buy it in tescos) Rupon the part owner of Mouchak gave me this tip when making chicken tikka masala add some at the end of cooking!

regards
gary

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 07:22 AM »
instead of mango chutney try mango pulp!( you can buy it in tescos) Rupon the part owner of Mouchak gave me this tip when making chicken tikka masala add some at the end of cooking!

regards
gary

Hi Parker,

Do you think the mango pulp would give the sweetness that mango chutney does?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 05:25 PM »
976bar,

the mango "pulp" would give a nice sweetness. probably not as much as the chutney but less sickly sweetness.

i've not used mango pulp in curry except i think one of your recipes. the main place i use mango is in salsa and aim to use fresh - works a treat (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2593.msg22837#msg22837)

Offline daddyL

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Very interesting and I think an ideal excuse to buy my next piece of kitchen gadgetry for the great lamb tikka experiment!
So it got me thinking... if we marinated the lamb in a vac pack bag (e-bay ?40) for x time then slowly simmered the said package for x time hey presto slow cooked lamb with all the marinade remaining, we could then finish off on BBQ or under grill to impair some smokey notes or  maybe try adding some liquid smoke to the marinade  ;)

Any thoughts on this method or am i just taking it too far  ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Very interesting and I think an ideal excuse to buy my next piece of kitchen gadgetry for the great lamb tikka experiment!
So it got me thinking... if we marinated the lamb in a vac pack bag (e-bay ?40) for x time then slowly simmered the said package for x time hey presto slow cooked lamb with all the marinade remaining, we could then finish off on BBQ or under grill to impair some smokey notes or  maybe try adding some liquid smoke to the marinade  ;)

Any thoughts on this method or am i just taking it too far  ;D

Hi daddyL,

No, I don't think your taking it too far at all. Definitely not BIR, but I have always been of the opinion that if you can make a dish that is outstanding, then certainly step outside the circle by using whatever means you need to do so.....

I think a lot of people are afraid to do this and curse others for doing so..... but if it works and produces great results then try it :)

Offline daddyL

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Well said 976bar

We all strive for that BIR taste and one of the key elements in BIR tikka is the tandoor oven which most of us dont have so we will have to try and be a little inventive.

I am currently waiting to cook the zaal tikka as it uses no paste (nut allergens) I will split the batch after cooking and want to try a persian technique on half the batch, after fully cooking and whilst the tikka is still warm i will place it in a metal steamer and put the lid on, in the bottom i will put some spiced oil in a foil tray and heat a piece of charcoal until it glows then drop it in the oil and place the basket of tikka on top to absorb the smoke produced.
This technique is also used to flavor persian biryani so i thought it may work on the tikka  :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Well said 976bar

We all strive for that BIR taste and one of the key elements in BIR tikka is the tandoor oven which most of us dont have so we will have to try and be a little inventive.

I am currently waiting to cook the zaal tikka as it uses no paste (nut allergens) I will split the batch after cooking and want to try a persian technique on half the batch, after fully cooking and whilst the tikka is still warm i will place it in a metal steamer and put the lid on, in the bottom i will put some spiced oil in a foil tray and heat a piece of charcoal until it glows then drop it in the oil and place the basket of tikka on top to absorb the smoke produced.
This technique is also used to flavor persian biryani so i thought it may work on the tikka  :)

I'm intrigued...

Please take some pictures and post your results :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 07:04 PM »
If we marinated the lamb in a vac pack bag (e-bay ?40) for x time then slowly simmered the said package for x time hey presto slow cooked lamb with all the marinade remaining, we could then finish off on BBQ or under grill to impair some smokey notes or  maybe try adding some liquid smoke to the marinade  ;)  Any thoughts on this method or am i just taking it too far  ;D

My gut feeling is the result won't be lamb tikka as we know it, the reason being that you will have essentially boiled (or at best, braised) the lamb and thereby changed the texture from what your mouth and brain will expect.  Even though you finish it off on a barbecue or under the grill, you will be barbecueing/grilling already boiled/braised meat, and I do not think that thereby will lay success.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:22 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

©2024 Curry Recipes