Author Topic: Lamb Tikka  (Read 20388 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Tikka
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Hi All,

Yesterday I bought a leg of lamb and at 6 this morning couldn't sleep, so was up de-boning the meat and cubing it. I've put some in the slow cooker to give me some pre-cooked lamb where it will sit for around 3 hours, and the rest I have made into Lamb Tikka using my version of Blades recipe.

I'm going to marinate this until Saturday (2 days) then I am in a ponder as to what to do with it? I'm not sure whether to stick it on the BBQ on skewers to get that smokey taste and leave it to cook on there, or stick it on the BBQ again to get that smokey flavour then finish it off in the oven, or stick it in the oven then onto the BBQ for the flavour...

Anyone got any ideas how to create the best results for tender lamb but with that smokey flavour from the BBQ?  :-\

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Tikka
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:01 PM »
I've just bought some rajah BBQ seasoning from spices of india, it smells great, i intend to add this to my tikka marinade.

worth a try maybe

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Hi 976bar

Have previous marinated a half leg of lamb for a couple of days, gently cooked it in the oven for an hour or so then finished off on the BBQ - that worked really well.

I realise the lamb cubes are more likely to dry out. How about gently cooking through the lamb tikka cubes in the oven on 160 for around 15 to 20 minutes then finishing off over the BBQ? - I guess you could try a couple of pieces out before doing the whole lot and see how it turns out?

Cheers

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Hi 976bar

Have previous marinated a half leg of lamb for a couple of days, gently cooked it in the oven for an hour or so then finished off on the BBQ - that worked really well.

I realise the lamb cubes are more likely to dry out. How about gently cooking through the lamb tikka cubes in the oven on 160 for around 15 to 20 minutes then finishing off over the BBQ? - I guess you could try a couple of pieces out before doing the whole lot and see how it turns out?

Cheers

Thanks for the advice Solarspace.

Have you ever discected a leg of lamb? The bottom half contains quite a lot of sinew within the muscle thread, which is a pain to remove and this causes the chewy bit in lamb which I hate, but I do take a painstakingly amount of time to remove, which I know wouldn't happen in a BIR.

However, at the top of the leg there is some really tender succulent meat, which I keep for the likes of Tikka and generally use the rest for slow cooking for curries.

I'm now thinking along the lines of your method but maybe wrapping the lamb cubes in foil whilst in the oven to keep the moisture in then as you say, finish off over a BBQ for that smokey aroma... I don't want the meat to sweat too much as this will spoil the Tikka marinade around the meat and make it runny... so maybe a few holes in the foil to let the steam out

I'll let everyone know how this turns out at the weekend with some pics :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:11 PM »
976bar,

have much interest in this.

i normally avoid lamb with curry full stop (unless it's cooked using the english version or read stew with curry powder but that's not what we aim for).

i've not tasted what i would call good tandoori lamb in any BIR. it's just too tough and that lamb taste is not there (or mutton).

i think the bbq "tandoori" taste is a must. i think it would just have to be marinated for longer - say 1 week.

i think pare boiling along the lines of ifindforu chicken would also work as long as it was slow cooked say 2 hrs. obviously finished on the bbq.

fingers crossed for you.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7611.msg65858;topicseen#msg65858

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I think we'd all be made up if we can crack this one.  I can now have melt in the mouth pre-cooked lamb in my curries using the slow cooker method but  i would like to be able to make tasty lamb tikka just like my chicken tikka.  But it just has "tough" written all over it before i even start >:(.  Good luck with this one Bob

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:46 PM »
When I grill Lamb Tikka I try and make sure the pieces are not too thick. I think there would be a danger of the meat going off if marinaded for a week though.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 12:44 AM »
I read a tip on the other site about using mashed kiwi fruit as a tenderiser for mutton.
Certainly a lot easier to source than papaya  ;)
Maybe start with half a kiwi fruit in the tikka marinade to see how it affects the flavour and texture.
For me personally, i like some bite to my lamb tikka rather than melt in the mouth.

Frank.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:10 AM by DalPuri »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:56 AM »
976bar,

have much interest in this.

i normally avoid lamb with curry full stop (unless it's cooked using the english version or read stew with curry powder but that's not what we aim for).

i've not tasted what i would call good tandoori lamb in any BIR. it's just too tough and that lamb taste is not there (or mutton).

i think the bbq "tandoori" taste is a must. i think it would just have to be marinated for longer - say 1 week.

i think pare boiling along the lines of ifindforu chicken would also work as long as it was slow cooked say 2 hrs. obviously finished on the bbq.

fingers crossed for you.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7611.msg65858;topicseen#msg65858

Hi Jerry,

I always slow cook my lamb for curries which works well, but slow cooking or even par boiling lamb tikka which I have tried before, removes all the marinade and taste from the meat, so whilst I would have a very light flavoured lamb tikka, it would not taste anything like the lamb tikka we get from BIR's.

I think I will stick with the low oven method and wrap it in foil then finish off on the BBQ. I'll let you all know later how it comes out with some pictures :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:58 AM »
I think we'd all be made up if we can crack this one.  I can now have melt in the mouth pre-cooked lamb in my curries using the slow cooker method but  i would like to be able to make tasty lamb tikka just like my chicken tikka.  But it just has "tough" written all over it before i even start >:(.  Good luck with this one Bob

Thanks CH :)

©2024 Curry Recipes