Author Topic: Garlic Chilli Chicken  (Read 24515 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic Chilli Chicken
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59 AM »
I used CR's base. CA's mix and Zaal's gm. When i win the lottery i'll try it with lamb tikka.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52 PM »
LOL Fried

I know what you mean. I haven't even tried cooking a lamb curry yet. For decent lamb steaks here in Perth it's at least $40/kilo  :'(

Not easy to find mutton either. In fact I've asked 3 different butchers to see if they could source some, and not one of them have got back to me yet.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 03:29 PM »
I have used various bases, but tend to find I like Taz's base the best and just a standard 5 spice mix.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Hi unclefrank

Thats an impressive range of bases to try with one recipe, nice work mate.  a true curryholic

The ashoka suprises me as its such a thick base sauce compared to others.

which base had the best bir like texture

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 04:55 AM »
I know what you mean. I haven't even tried cooking a lamb curry yet. For decent lamb steaks here in Perth it's at least $40/kilo  :'(

Not easy to find mutton either. In fact I've asked 3 different butchers to see if they could source some, and not one of them have got back to me yet.

Hi AM,

I agree that lamb steaks may maker a more tender tikka, but you should be able to find perfectly acceptable lamb a lot cheaper than that?  Even Woolies and Coles do boneless joints (of shoulder or leg) at around $17 a kilo.  I have even seen it at $10 a kilo at the "Spud Shed" (don't know if there is one by you?).  This lamb is perfectly acceptable for curries (and tikka), in my opinion.

I did find mutton, at a local butcher, at $8 a kilo.  But he then shoved the price up to $16 a kilo so I stopped buying it.  The other alternative is goat.  Many butchers sell this frozen (on the bone) at around $12 a kilo.  Not sure how this would fair for tikka though?

PS:  Sorry, Bar, way off topic, I know!  :o

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 08:10 AM »

Hi AM,

I agree that lamb steaks may maker a more tender tikka, but you should be able to find perfectly acceptable lamb a lot cheaper than that?  Even Woolies and Coles do boneless joints (of shoulder or leg) at around $17 a kilo.  I have even seen it at $10 a kilo at the "Spud Shed" (don't know if there is one by you?).  This lamb is perfectly acceptable for curries (and tikka), in my opinion.

I did find mutton, at a local butcher, at $8 a kilo.  But he then shoved the price up to $16 a kilo so I stopped buying it.  The other alternative is goat.  Many butchers sell this frozen (on the bone) at around $12 a kilo.  Not sure how this would fair for tikka though?

PS:  Sorry, Bar, way off topic, I know!  :o

No worries Cory, if it helps our fellow Tikka lovers then all the better!! :)

I've often thought about trying goat myself. My daughters boyfriend is from Jamaica and they eat goat all the time and reckon it's lovely....

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Hi unclefrank

Thats an impressive range of bases to try with one recipe, nice work mate.  a true curryholic

The ashoka suprises me as its such a thick base sauce compared to others.

which base had the best bir like texture

I am lucky enough to have three freezers so i make curries nearly every day, have friends round most nights and i always make them curries, they bring the beer for an exchange.

So i make those bases because i can make a lot of dishes using one recipe then get other peoples opinions and comments on certain dishes.

I do sometimes mix and match different mix powders to different bases but stick to the same four bases though, CA, Chewys, Taz and Razor.

For example just made the ABC base but used the Balti Secrets http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Balti-Secrets-Birmingham-Co/dp/0572022980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337249894&sr=8-1
Balti Masala Spice mix and recipe for a Chicken Balti on page 58 then add green pepper and two big tomatoes, WOW what a wonderful tasting balti, this one is on my "let see what other people think" list which will be this Saturday night.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Hi 976bar,

I made this this afternoon, brilliant ;D

thanks for posting the recipe.

Will

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Hi 976bar,

I made this this afternoon, brilliant ;D

thanks for posting the recipe.

Will

Glad you liked it Will :)

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 06:05 AM »
Wow .. thanks 976bar !!

Made this last night for myself and my wife and we both agreed it's up there amongst the best on this forum .. it was more than moreish .. we couldn't stop eating !!

We're having the same again tonight since we enjoyed it so much. If anyone is in any doubt about this I'd say give it a try .. you'll love it !!

Thanks again 976 ( and credit to UB too for the original !! )     :)

©2024 Curry Recipes