Author Topic: Sorry if this is another silly question about base gravy  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
G'day folks

I wanted to try a different base gravy yesterday and thought I would try the Taz base after reading so many good things. I was tempted to add some coriander or carrot, but I followed the recipe to the letter so I could compare.  Now, i am still a realtive newbie to BIR and I was delighted with the visual result.

I have done a few CA and Chewy bases and they have all produced excellent results in the final curry dish.

But, I have never manged to get a good oil separation, only froth.

On the taz base, I got literally gallons (or so it seemed lol) of oil on the top of the sauce. It was a sight to behold. I forgot to take a picture in my excitement, but please believe me, there was LOADS of oil floating on the top of the gurabi.

Seeing as this was the first time that this has occured, i was unsure what to do with it. Should I spoon off the oil, or should I stir it back in and keep it in the sauce (I did the latter before splitting it up and freezing)

Thankf folks  8)

I had a quick "snack" of bhuna, before I foze it and it tasted very, very nice. ;D

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry if this is another silly question about base gravy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:54 PM »
G'day Mick
I use a stick blender to mix it back in thoroughly and then it is evenly distributed amongst all your portions.
Hope this helps
Mick

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Hi Mick

Some chefs actually use this oil floating on the top of the base to start off their dishes. This also varies depending on how much oil the dish actually gives up or contains to begin with. The Taz base is a slightly unusal base as it does contain a high percentage of oil relative to many other base recipes on this site as it is designed to be used with a slightly different cooking technique.

In general (There may well be exceptions to the rule) unless the oil layer on the base is excessive (something may have gone wrong with measurements? ) it is usually intended that the oil is stirred back in to the base, as most of us here will then usually portion up the base and freeze it.

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Mick

Have a good look at some of the Taz posts because the method is a little bit different than using other bases - you don't need to add oil at the start of the curry due to the high oil content. I've posted quite a few recipes which are adaptations for the Taz base so I hope you find something that suits your palate.

Steve

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Thanks fellas. Question has been answered. 8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:59 AM »
But, I have never manged to get a good oil separation, only froth.

I wouldn't get fixated on getting oil separation in the base.  It depends on how much oil is in it and how long you cook it for (and probably on several other things).

To my mind, it should generally be stirred back into the (any) base (because it carries flavour).  Whether it separates, or not (and it often doesn't), does not influence the outcome (provided that it is otherwise cooked for long enough to adequately soften the onions and other vegetables).  In my opinion.

In the Taz base, it should also be stirred back into the base because it is an intrinsic part of the subsequent curry cooking process, as I understand it.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Hi Mick. I would personally stir it back in.

On this subject of oil separating from the base, it seems to me that although often discussed we don't seem to know why it separates, or why it might not separate or indeed how significant oil separation really is. CA expresses the view that it's not significant, others have previously stated the opposite but I'm unclear on what it is happening at that last stage of cooking which means the base is yielding oil. Would appreciate it if anyone has any insight?  It's more than simply the evaporation of sufficient water to allow oil to no longer stay mixed in.  I can say that without doubt through noticing how a base finished in the slow cooker (which has ultra low evaporation compared to hob boiling in a pan) will reach a tipping point where oil starts to rise and will then give up a surprising amount of oil upon further cooking.

One thing I have noticed is that when stiring a base which reaches this stage, there is significant sediment which can be dragged up from the bottom of the pan. So there must be chemistry involved here which (in my simplistic view) is leading the compounds in the base to clump together and fall out of suspension and presumably then the oil which was clinging to the smaller particles is free to rise. Well, I'm not a chemist (as you can see) but that is what I imagine is happening and if it is associated with a chemical change then it's a fair assumption that it could be taken to be a sign of the base being fully cooked (which I believe chewy has previously suggested).

It would be an interesting experiment to reserve some base sauce during the final cook, prior to oil rising. Then cook a curry with it to compare the result with base sauce cooked to the point of oil rising. Maybe I should try that next time I make some base.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50 AM »
Not a bad idea NJ. It'll be interesting to hear about your findings.

I did a batch of CA's base yesterday, and I tried and tried to get separation, but gave up after about an hour of simmering with the lid on/lid off/dropping the froth back into the centre as on CBM video shows the chef doing. I got plenty of froth as usual but very little actual oil.

I'll be cooking up a batch of Chewys later in the week, so we'll see what happens there. We've got a poker night next weekend, and guess what we'll be etaing? LOL

I am going to do a bhuna with each of the base sauces and also buy one in from our local curry house (which is actually quite good) and do a blind taste test on people...should be interesting. ???

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:34 AM »
Recently made a Zaal base and after about an hour into the second simmer (after blending) could see the oil starting to rise to the surface so turned off the gas.
What I actually did was set the gas to minimum and not off  ::) so the base continued to simmer,after about another 1 1/2 hours I realised the gas was still on and looking at the base couldn't believe the amount of oil on the surface  :o completely covering the top of the base in some depth.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Mick, sounds like a good experiment and I hope no other random variations creep in to threaten the validity of your result. Emin-j after your well cooked base experience did you notice a kind of sediment at the bottom of the pan? I'm not sure I've read on here anyone else other than myself experiencing this but in my mind it's synonymous with the base reaching this "fully cooked" stage, when the oil rises. You will see it if you reach a long spoon down to the bottom of the pan and scoop what's there to the surface.

©2024 Curry Recipes