Author Topic: marinate and pre cook  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
marinate and pre cook
« on: May 17, 2012, 05:59 PM »
I have been getting used to navigating around this site over the past few days as I am new here.

I have come across CA's base and dishes that go with it and would like to try these at some point.
From the little I have read I see no refrence to marinate or pre cook the meat.

I have found out recently how to marinate with yogurt etc and pre cook.

Does CA do this, and for that matter does nearly everyone do this or is it sometimes looked over as the time and effort maybe not worth the while?
Do people do this religiously so to speak?

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: marinate and pre cook
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Hi there, there are quite a few recipes for pre cooking meat, dotted around the site perhaps, I think most probably sit in this section:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0

I've only done the Kushi balti which had precooked lamb, but it does add something to the flavour and helps make the meat tender, others will be able to comment more than me though

Thanks VT

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:25 PM »
I've just eaten my Jalfrazi of which I marinated the chicken in yogurt and I'm still astounded by the tenderness this achieves.
Infact I cut the chicken in megasize lumps now as I'm so confident with this.
I have another few breasts in the fridge doing there business till the morning when I will pre cook and freeze.

I really need a break from eating curry as I've litrally been at it all week, not coz the novelty's worn off but I'm on the statins for high cholesterol and probably finding out how to make these tasty dishes may well be the last thing I need. :(

I don't think I could bring myself to take a shortcut and not do the mari/precook stage as it's been such an eye opener to me.

Offline pauly58

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52 PM »
I'v followed Julian's recipe for marinating & pre cooking both chicken & lamb & it really is fantastic, both extremely tender & full of flavour.

I've found if you can time it so the chicken finishes cooking & then goes straight in the curry sauce it's at it's best.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:35 AM »
Hi Guys

we marinate all our chicken in yoghurt and turmeric - always
Tender beyond belief and a yellow coating - we have compliments everyday about the quality of the meat in our meals - and its only chicken!

Marinate is the way to go! always - how long is up to you! 4 hours minimum for us

Be careful how much turmeric you use - you can achieve a colour from a nice yellow to a dark yellow which does not always look nice but in a vindaloo looks great

best, Rich

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:10 AM »
I have found out recently how to marinate with yogurt etc and pre cook.

Does CA do this, and for that matter does nearly everyone do this or is it sometimes looked over as the time and effort maybe not worth the while?
Do people do this religiously so to speak?

Hi TTB,

I sometimes do.  But mostly I don't (generally because of the time, extra ingredients, and inconvenience of marinating and precooking it).  You will see that I present both options in my recipes accordingly.

If using boneless chicken breasts, I don't really find it makes a whole heap of difference to the tenderness.  I would go so far as to say that, in my experience, it can actually be detrimental (i.e. makes it drier and tougher). 

However, marinating and precooking will/can certainly taste and/or look very different.  But that's not necessarily always a good thing.  My wife much prefers it unmarinated.

I know and accept that BIRs invariably marinate and precook their chicken.  One believable argument, for me, is what Secret Santa said about them (maybe) precooking it to minimise potential health issues with handling raw chicken.

So, short answer - sometimes; but not religiously.

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:17 AM »
Hi Rich,

Sounds great and easy, what would the recipe be for say 500g chicken breast?

Cheers,
MM

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I agree with CA , unless the dish is a tikka dish or something specifically requiring marinading I don't bother and find the chicken cooked perfectly nine times out of ten. I have to be honest and say I've never tried the yogurt method though so I'm not knocking it .. just never been dissatisfied with it un-marinaded way.
As long as both produce great curries I don't suppose it matters much    :) ;)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Lads and I have taken it all onboard.
Maybe it just boils down to the fact that it's just nice to be massaging a few breasts after all these years! ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes