Author Topic: 14 videos from the award-winning Rajput restaurant  (Read 9111 times)

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 14 videos from the award-winning Rajput restaurant
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:54 AM »
i,m a very nosey git what did they get sent to prison for ?

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Cheff888,
This link is from Secret Santas post...
http://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/harrogate-knaresborough-nidderdale/jailed-3yrs-for-rajput-brothers-1-2672053

I also remember seeing these vids a few years back. I'm not knowledgable re kitchen things and cooking and thats why I enjoy reading up on tips etc on here but I do recall just wanting to reach through my screen and throttle this guy. >:(

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 04:01 PM »
thanks tt you just dont know what can go on behind the scenes makes the mind boggel got all they deserved and probably 2 or 3 more yrs on top would of been more just ( ivam )

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Tell me about it.
A few years back I was waiting for my order in the local Chinese when I tried to make conversation with the pretty young girl who took the orders etc.
Her English wasn't too good and all I was trying to say was that seeing the shop had been in the same families hands for years it was strange that all of a sudden the staff just seemed passing through and was she family etc?

She was just smiling at me repeating "I love Leather" and she seemed oblivious of what she was saying?

The devil in my mind was saying "life don't get much better than this" but I collected my chow mien and left. :(
I till this day tell my mates that I'm convinced the T/A was involved with a bit of people trafficking? :-\
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:39 PM by Tommy Timebomb »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 05:25 PM »
She was just smiling at me repeating "I love Leather" and she seemed oblivious of what she was saying?

I'll bounce "I love leather" off the Cantonese and Mandarin-speaking members of my family; it's just possible that she was speaking Chinese, not English (unlikely, but can't be completely discounted).

* Phil.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Tell me about it.
A few tears back I was waiting for my order in the local Chinese when I tried to make conversation with the pretty young girl who took the orders etc.
Her English wasn't too good and all I was trying to say was that seeing the shop had been in the same families hands for years it was strange that all of a sudden the staff just seemed passing through and was she family etc?

The devil in my mind was saying "life don't get much better than this" but I collected my chow mien and left. :(
I till this day tell my mates that I'm convinced the T/A was involved with a bit of people trafficking? :-\

Well not wishing to destroy you fantasy but surely she was just trying to make conversation about how nice the weather ("leather" in Chinese accent) was?!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Well not wishing to destroy you fantasy but surely she was just trying to make conversation about how nice the weather ("leather" in Chinese accent) was?!

Unconvinced.  Both Cantonese and Mandarin have very clear initial "l" [1] and "w" [2], so it's hard to imagine a native Chinese speaker pronouncing "weather" as "leather".  "r"/"l" confusion is very common, but "w"/"l" I have not encountered. Which is not to say that it does not exist !

** Phil.
--------
[1] Cantonese "lok4", Mandarin "le" (particle, no English equivalent)
[2] Cantonese "wok6" ("wok", as in Chinese cooking vessel), Mandarin "wo3" ("I". "me", occasionally "my")

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58 AM »
Perhaps she just liked leather. Ain't a crime is it?  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes