Author Topic: 14 videos from the award-winning Rajput restaurant  (Read 9062 times)

Offline Paul-B

• Chef
    • View Profile
14 videos from the award-winning Rajput restaurant
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:24 PM »
I have tried his Jalfreyzi recipe and very good it is, too. Great if you don't have time to go through some of the recipes here but need something relatively quick and quite delicious.

http://www.rajput.co.uk/video.php

Cheers!

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 14 videos from the award-winning Rajput restaurant
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Hi Paul!

Seems a bit rough on you that no one replied to you yet.... Perhaps they all thought the same as me - "blimey, 14 videos - I'll come back to that when I have more time!"

Well tonight I came back to it and watched a few, but not all 14. It's a good set of videos for sure and as per their strapline is more "new Indian cuisine" than BIR. My experiences of modern Indian cuisine, aka "posh Indian" aka tiny cordon bleu style portions, has not been good based on one local restaurant, but I won't judge this place in Harrogate on that.

Interesting to see him using a nonstick pan (with metal spoon!) after all we've heard about the importance of naked aluminium pans. His presenting style seems a bit over the top to me, like he's auditioning for a role as a tv chef, but preferable I suppose to someone mumbling away inaudibly.

All in all a good set of videos and well worth posting, so thanks for that  :D

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Hi Paul, I appreciate you sending the link but a few odd things about the jalfrezi video:

1 As already noted the use of non-stick pans with a metal spoon. This will eventually mean the non-stick coating ends up in the food. As far as I know non-stick is not used in professional kitchens. Bare aluminium is far more common.

2 The use of Chinese wok burners which forces you to use a wok rather than ali or iron pan.

3 How long it would have taken him to cook this meal for anybody waiting in the restaurant.

4 A teaspoon of salt is about 6 grams - seems excessive to me.

It just doesn't look right to me.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Have seen a couple of this guy's vid ages ago.  Not quite BIR as we know it on here.  As already said, "new wave" and possibly more up market, or maybe that's the impression that is being given.  Haven't tried any of the recipes as there's plenty on here i'll be trying first.  Thanks for posting the link though.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Ps. Paul, I noticed it's your first post in something like 18 months! Why so quiet?  ;D

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:49 PM »
His presenting style seems a bit over the top to me..

Too true. I found him so irritating as to be virtually unwatchable

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Thought this guy looked familiar,

Gulf expat posted a link to some of these videos in march 2010

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4465.0

It is a bit cheesy to watch :o

W

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00 AM »
I remember these.
This guys video's, were of a budding curry chef trying to be a celebrity TV chef and not somebody doing instructional how to videos.
The Teflon pan will be ruined very quickly, using a chef's spoon and the furnace output of that Chinese cooking range, olive oil isn't the
best on high heat either, but it's trendy to show your using it in a video.

I don't know, but his restaurant was probably closed down when he and his family went to prison
and makes you wonder what he's doing now, but needless to say they all got what they deserved.
cheers Chewy

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12 PM »
I don't know, but his restaurant was probably closed down when he and his family went to prison
and makes you wonder what he's doing now, but needless to say they all got what they deserved.
cheers Chewy

Here, Here, Chewy,
And I don't think we should be promoting the "Brothers Grimm" on cr0.
But just my opinion

Les

©2024 Curry Recipes