Author Topic: Peeling Garlic Cloves in "Bulk"  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Peeling Garlic Cloves in "Bulk"
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:28 PM »
When using cloves from one or two bulbs of garlic, whether it be for a base or garlic ginger paste, the problem remains that peeling garlic cloves can be a bit of a hassle and somewhat time consuming. Here is a "recipe" to peel a whole garlic bulb (or bulbs) quickly, in less than one minute.

Ingredients:

One or two bulbs of garlic
2 small or medium balti dishes

Method:

start by breaking the bulb into individual cloves
leave the skin on and place the individual cloves into one of the Balti dishes
take the other Balti dish and place it upside down, on top of the dish with the garlic cloves
you should now have something that resembles a dome
hold the dome firmly with both hands
now shake hard so that the garlic cloves rattle inside the dome
imagine you have just been given the job of the maracas player in "Santana"
as you shake count to 30
check on the cloves and if they have all shed their skins
if not, shake again, Samba Pa Ti style
count to 20
check again

You should now have a load of individually peeled garlic cloves.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Peeling Garlic Cloves in "Bulk"
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:19 PM »
cheers natterjack - can't remember seeing this post but it's exactly the same method!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59 AM »
I've had poor results using the Youtube method.

It seems to peel a few cloves, but mash others. I was left with a sticky mess that I had to hand peel the last few. And left my hands sticky with garlic.

Does it work? Yes. Is it faster? Probably. Would I do it again? No.

-- Josh

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:25 PM »
The C2G/Undercover Curry method seems to work well...

Soak your bulbs or cloves in water at least 10-15 mins, when you've got your cloves seperated then chop the "woody" bit off the end off each one, and pull at the stringy bit at the other end - the skin just falls off (usually, ymmv!).   

Don't know how much time this really saves, but it's less fiddly than trying to do them dry (I used to squash them with the flat end of the knife so the skin breaks and then peel)

Even with the water method your hands will keep the vampires away, but I was intrigued by this little gadget

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-It-Bought-Stainless-Steel/dp/B007PMGLHC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1340742224&sr=8-5

Has anyone got a stainless steel bar of soap and does it really get rid of the garlic smell?

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:56 PM »
The best way I have found to get rid of any smell on your hands (including garlic) is to wash your hands with cold water (and soap). This closes the pores and the smell washes away whereas hot water opens the pores and the smell lingers.

Try it, you'll be surprised!

W

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:19 PM »
I can't fault this method if i've more than 5 cloves to peel.  I simply use an old coffee jar or similar and shake the ***k out of it - simples - done.  Excellent when you're making up garlic or ginger garlic puree.  And less washing up than using larger receptacles ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Has anyone got a stainless steel bar of soap and does it really get rid of the garlic smell?

No, but my wife (Chinese/Vietnamese) swears by a metal spoon to achieve the same effect, so it may well work.

I simply use an old coffee jar or similar and shake the ***k out of it - simple - done.  Excellent when you're making up garlic or ginger garlic puree.  And less washing up than using larger receptacles ;D

I use the same method (albeit in a small saucepan with lid) but on the last occasion, when the garlic was getting old, it worked nowhere near as well.  Somewhere I read that farm shop garlic and supermarket garlic behave quite differently using this technique : perhaps it is the age-difference there, as well.

** Phil.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18 AM »
I just make my hands really wet before peeling and/or working with onions and garlic. It's quite profound how such a simple technique helps. Something else you can do is rub a little baking soda (not powder) between your wet hands (works magic on cat pee, too ...)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Hi stephenperry i have one of those stainless steel soap bars and they do work really well, it doesn't make any difference if you use hot or cold water when using them the smell just disappears from your hands and fingers.
Well worth a purchase in my opinion.

©2024 Curry Recipes