Author Topic: Bruce Edwards - the complete series (PDF)  (Read 10781 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Edwards - the complete series (PDF)
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 07:21 PM »
i'm only part way through this document (making sure i digest it fully).

one thing that's caught my eye that i can't get out of my mind is the use "tarragon" presumably in base.

has anyone used it in curry. it's not a herb i use in cooking.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Jerry

I can't recall seeing the use of Tarragon in the base but I do recall that Bruce had a Chicken Phall tested and he found that Tarragon was in the sauce.

Steve

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 08:40 PM »
An unusual herb to add to curry Jerry.
I did find by accident many years ago that tarragon and fresh chillies make a great combination, like onions and parsley. A chemical reaction perhaps?

Another herb which i always see for sale in indian grocers is dill. Again something ive never used in a curry or heard of until i watched Madhur Jaffrey use it in rice.
here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7911.0

Thats a Huge bunch too!!  :P

Frank.  :)

Offline Bigwings

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Thanks for the download Stonecut, much appreciated

Bigwings  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Steve/Frank,

appreciate your thoughts.

i feel i'm going to have to put tarragon on my to do list. i'll ask the local shop manager too. on the dill which knowing the taste i'm sure is traditional ingredient. i can't see the tarragon just being put in selective dishes. it would have to go in the base or paste. as you point out Asian stores are packed with fresh and dried herb and perhaps we don't use them enough - well not in curry (i have a 250g Natco marjoram for pizza as example).

the use of ajowan as "essential ingredient" for base shows for me that all is not necessarily crucial. i've used ajowan in ifindforu's base some time ago and ended up swapping it for fennel.

i'm still steadily plodding through the book.

of particular interest "bhaji base" which i'd never come across - i think i can use the idea on my oil work.

the rogan josh idea of using de seeded toms lightly fried until breaking up is another to go on to do list. i've never been able to get rogan like i like and this i can see working a treat.

the idea of saving the meat cooking sauce to add to curries is another. i've tried adding it to base and makes no difference. adding to the dish at frying i can see working. think i will ice cube next meat cooking sauce to try out.

i know that chef's do add additional spice to specific dishes but i'm not at that standard. the proportions are banked for future (particularly coriander, i can't see need for turmeric/cumin or curry powder).

having a real good time reading the book.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 09:32 AM »
have finished the series - loved it - the reading of the whole thing as one really worked for me.

i asked the owner of my local asian store (who i know well) about tarragon in base. he did not even need to think - the answer being yes. he also gives yes to ajowan. i also asked about oil in base. it's left me with more uncertainty.

i believe the manager 100%. his expertise is in traditional food which he cooks himself. he also knows what the trade buys but not what they do with it.

i've used ajowan in past and ended up chucking it out. having re read the BE series it jumps out that i may have used too much. consequently i feel i'm going to have to try small amounts of both in base. it's not a "break through" priority though.

on the oil. he said the oil is the heart of the base and must not be removed. this is a real good example of how tricky our task is. having questioned this it was clear that he uses the oil off the top cook with. his advice of the easiest way of getting a top notch base was to add plenty of butter - a pack of lurpac. he uses butter or butter ghee to fry curry and frowns on veg oil.

back to the series. there is an interesting section on dealing with base - smaller pots and reheating with tarka of oil and puree. never seen anything like this and feel we need more info on it. it's potentially a key area which we know nothing about. i had a go this week but it's finger in the dark and did not work out well.

i liked the idea of adding slice of lemon at dish frying and removing before serving. something i've not tried.

the rogan josh sauce sounds well worth a try.

the 8 tbsp of mustard oil in tikka is of note. i use just 1 tbsp and have tried increasing slightly (2 tbsp) it does make a difference but not significant enough to justify. the x8 may just be down to the amount of meat. my value being based on 1kg marinade.

there's a comment about base sauce and pre cooking the main ingredient with whole spice which i take as onion. not really enough of a steer to take further but again i feel a key area.

the rocket engine cooking approach comment demonstrates again how you need to have a practical understanding to appreciate what's being said. the comment "most of heat going up the side" can be read 2 ways. in my view the rocket heat goes into the pan rim surface and not just escaping to the atmosphere.

my impressions of BE have increased considerably - what a star.

©2024 Curry Recipes