Author Topic: Singeing paprika powder in a mix  (Read 5067 times)

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Singeing paprika powder in a mix
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Hi friends ,

As some of you will be aware I live on the Slovak / Hungarian border where you would think they would know a thing or two about paprika. I've been told now on countless occasions to never ever fry paprika powder since it invariably turns bitter. I don't know about all of you but I only use CA's mix powder and it's quite heavy on paprika and hence whenever I've tried the singe / quench technique I've ended up with an unpleasant bitterish taste to the dish ... is this in keeping with others experience and in which case I'll have to be very careful once the paprika goes into the pot not to allow it to fry. I have noted that there are mixed powders that omit the paprika and wondered if this was part of the reason.

Your thoughts would be welcome ....

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Singeing paprika powder in a mix
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Hi Colin,

I've been using the "ifindforu secret" mix powder for a few months and it contains paprika. I can't say I've noticed a taste problem with frying the mix powder unless I burn the spices, but the spices do taste better with a frying stage I'm finding.

I would have thought that paprika would have similar properties to chilli powder when heated as they are both made from dried fleshy capsicum-type plants. I mean the chillis are quite like bell peppers except for the heat difference.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Robert

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I've always assumed that the paprika is included principally to add colour as the flavour is a bit too subtle to be really noticed in with all the other spices. (I could be wrong, of course!)

Rob

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:03 PM »
What singe technique sequence are you using, burnt Haldi  and Methi Powder are the worst for bitterness. Paprika CAN take a singe, no problem.
If you are BURNING your Mix powder, it won't be just Paprika that's turning bitter it will be the whole lot.

If you follow the standard restaurant tarka sequence, of adding the Tomato puree dilute BEFORE you add the spice powders you should have no problems at all.
For a good singe example, have a look at my Madras videos.
cheers Chewytikka

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Thanks so far guys ,

Chewy ... you have hit on something since I do not add the tomato puree first but rather second to the spice mix as CA calls for .. he does state to immediately add the tomato puree but maybe sometimes I've not been quick enough . I also use methi leaf so maybe that's a culprit too ... it's funny that you of all people should reply since I'm doing your madras tonight for the first time having watched the vid over and over.

:)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Hi Colin
I made this one today!
I've been messing about with whole dried chillies, bought a bag of large common
type dark red chillis and a cheap bag of small red dried birdseye chillis 50p.
Ground them 50/50 into 200g of chilli powder,
I used this in the Madras instead of my usual Kashmiri Chilli Powder. Wow, it blew the bloody doors off...both in taste and heat.
Not thinking about it, I used a good tablespoon of the fresh chilli powder and a pinch of fresh black pepper.
Full on Madras flavours, sweat on, tearducts bulging, lip burn constant...
and for me the sign of a good curry is the flavour doesn't weaken as you get used to the spice and heat while eating it.

cheers Chewytikka
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:27 PM by chewytikka »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Colin

Bruce Edwards suggests that Paprika should be optional in his BE mix. He reckons that Paprika goes off much quicker than other spices and becomes bitter - could this be the problem. A quick test would be to make some mix powder to the same recipe you are using but to do so without Paprika and then you could see if that helps? Just a thought.

Steve

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Hi Colin
I made this one today!
I used this in the Madras instead of my usual Kashmiri Chilli Powder. Wow, it blew the bloody doors off...both in taste and heat.
Not thinking about it, I used a good tablespoon of the fresh chilli powder and a pinch of fresh black pepper.
and for me the sign of a good curry is the flavour doesn't weaken as you get used to the spice and heat while eating it.

cheers Chewytikka

That looks superb Chewy!! :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47 AM »
Hi Colin
I made this one today!
cheers Chewytikka

And you thought that looked and tasted good CT.  Wish you were here to test drive this one.  Full report under your original madras recipe thread.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:31 AM by curryhell »

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:35 AM »
Both Chewy and Curryhell .. you've got a great pair of dishes there .. I cooked Chewy's madras and it was superb ... as someone else posted on Chewy's thread I too have always steered clear of madras when out thinking it was a little weak somehow ... but the flavour is perfect .. my wife said it was the best I've produced to date and I have to agree .. the tarka of onion and pepper at the start really came through at the end .. a real winner Chewy and thanks for sharing !    :)

©2024 Curry Recipes