Author Topic: Rick Stein's Lamb Korai  (Read 56948 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Stein's Lamb Korai
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55 PM »

I went to Makro today and bought 5kg of Halal Chicken breast for

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Regarding the lamb and pre-cooking I use my cheap slow cooker and cook the lamb pieces with a little base sauce and maybe a few whole spices. When I add the meat to the curry all the lamb juices in the slow cooker will go into the curry so there is no lack of lamb flavour or loss of juices.

IMO lamb needs quite a long cooking time to become tender.

Paul

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Hi 976bar, I cook pork shoulder(supermarket) once a week in the slow cooker, but it normally takes around 6hrs to become really soft. It's definitley a great way to cook otherwise tough cuts of meat. Lamb could be cooked in it in minimal liquid,  but that recipe is an actual bir lamb & spinach karahi & needs attention to stop the sauce reducing too quickly before the meats done. The puree of tomato & onion starts off much thicker than an onion gravy. R Stein said on the original program that he'd never seen a curry cooked this way before, whether he was talking about bir curry i'm not sure. It's the best curry I've made outside the home bir stuff by a long way

Regarding the lamb and pre-cooking I use my cheap slow cooker and cook the lamb pieces with a little base sauce and maybe a few whole spices. When I add the meat to the curry all the lamb juices in the slow cooker will go into the curry so there is no lack of lamb flavour or loss of juices.

IMO lamb needs quite a long cooking time to become tender.

Paul

That would improve this recipe for the home cook paulp
Regards
ELW

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:19 PM »
I actually made this with Chicken back in 2009, but was still experimenting a lot in those days, not to say I am still experimenting now :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1846.msg16005#msg16005

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38 PM »
I actually made this with Chicken back in 2009, but was still experimenting a lot in those days, not to say I am still experimenting now :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1846.msg16005#msg16005
Same here. I cooked it from the RS book thinking I had found the golden ticket, then again when i saw the clip on Saturday Kitchen. I think it's more like saag gosht with different cooking technique, than the karahi I'm used to

Regards
ELW

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 09:49 AM »
The lamb shanks and sauce are in the slow oven for the next 8 hours. I couldn't resist adding a little bit of Zaal Massala to liven up the sauce a little bit.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 01:35 PM »
I noted there was no methi leaves in this or many of other traditional or homestyle dishes. I would imagine it's seen as way overused by bir to Asian palates. The smell of the sauce  cooking away is amazing though

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 03:37 PM »
It's not looking so good at the moment. It just tastes like a base sauce (which is what it basically is) with only the spinach and coriander left to go it. I'm thinking I might use it as a base and knock up some better tasting curries with it.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 04:01 PM »
 ??? Should have turned dark & thickened alot chriswg. Pretty strong on the garlic with a fair amount of spice involved. I have the book version & haven't checked if there is a difference ,which has 65/50 gm garlic/ginger which is for 6 servings  :o

Regards
ELW

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 11:12 AM »
It was really gross. I did everything I could to salvage it and make something at least edible but it really wasn't right. The garlic, ginger and spices were all boiled rather than fried/charred. An interesting experience but not one I'm willing to replicate ever.

©2024 Curry Recipes