Author Topic: chicken keebab marinade request  (Read 3873 times)

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
chicken keebab marinade request
« on: June 09, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Hi All

Has anyone got a recipe for chicken shish marinade like most UK turkish keebab houses use.

Cheers

Fishy

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: chicken keebab marinade request
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Hi Fishy, the closest I have is a Chicken shawarma recipe, and for the life of me I cannot remember where I got it, but it tastes real good! :)

Chicken Shawarma

Boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cardamom
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 onion finely chopped
4 garlic cloves crushed
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c water
1/8 c white vinegar
1 c plain yogurt
1/8 c olive oil

Mix all ingredients and pour over boneless, skinless chicken breast. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Remove from marinade - Grill or bake until chicken is done.

I like to serve this in pitas or flat bread as sandwiches with tahini sauce, feta, lettuce cucumber, tomato and thinly sliced onion. Or served over fattoush salad. I don't know what is traditional, but either way I love this recipe!

Tahini sauce:
1/2 c tahini
1/2 c lemon juice
1/4 c water
1 t salt
2 cloves garlic crushed.

Mash garlic and salt to a paste. Then add remaining ingredients and stir to combine - chill.

Hope this helps...

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Thanks 976bar looks good and worth ago, iam pretty sure there isnt any yogurt in the keebab marinade the meat looks slightly red also, im thinking paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt and more?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Hi Fishy

I made a recipe that works pretty well http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4474.msg41015#msg41015

But in all honesty you cant go far wrong from just using a little oil (Mustard Oil works well), a touch of yoghurt, a squeeze of lemon and a liberal sprinkling of good ole' madras powder, you could also add minced ginger & garlic. Mostly near me, kebab shops sell the shish that looks like it is just curry powder of some description but I have seen the odd one that does have the pinkish marinade. What they use for that i've no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if most use some sort of commercially available pre-made powder these days.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Hi Axe, you haven't posted for a long time. Hope you are doing ok and good to see you back.  :)

Paul

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Thanks Axe that looks delicious.

Yes it is the pinkish looking chicken marinade i'am after, most takeaways here have the same marinade and cooked over charcoal grill, i love it so want to replicate it, im sure the ingredients are simple but what are they?, i cannot taste any real curry powders in there only garlic,paprika,lemon jucie, maybe i should mess around with it.

I cook alot of tikka and like to differ now and then.

Cheers

Fishy

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 12:55 AM »
Fishy,

In my endeavours i've tried all sorts of recipes, but really I always end with a simple mix of Madras powder and the odd extra like garlic & ginger paste. Start at the beginning, you'll be quite surprised. ;)

For the the 'pink tinge' try adding Harrisa paste and be careful how much lemon juice you add. At the end of the day, its really quite simple to make a perfectly good kebab as long as you keep to the basics and don't over do the flavourings, too much lemon or yoghurt will really drown it.

Paul, Thanks for the comments, all is well, shall be checking in more often hopefully.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Hey everyone AXE is BACK!!!

Where have you been buddy?

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 01:42 PM »
From "Kenny McGovern - The Takeaway secret":

Traditionally the lamb doner kebab is cooked on a standing rotisserie and thinly sliced to order. The thin slices are perfect because the meat is generously seasoned. This home version is roasted in the oven and uses a classic doner spice mix to capture that authentic takeaway flavour.

1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500 g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Preheat the oven to 180?C/350?F/Gas Mark 4.

In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2?3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the doner kebab as thinly as possible and serve with Pitta Salad (page 123) and kebab sauces.

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Thanks for the tips Axe, I do play around with my tikka marinades a hell of alot and always impress friends but myself always finds a fault, im sure you lot do the same, I wanna keep it simple thats why i like the turkish marinade what ever that is.

Stonecut, thats a tempting recipe thanks, how does it compare to the takeaway donna (they taste really good but I feel bad after eating one).

Thanks
Fishy

©2024 Curry Recipes