Author Topic: Chicken Chaat - Recipe request  (Read 34899 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Chaat - Recipe request
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Guy's,

I'm looking for a 'good' Chicken Chaat recipe of restaurant quality (or thereabouts :)).  I personally have never ordered it, so don't know what taste I'm looking for but I will order one in the next couple of day's.

There are three recipes posted on cr0 but one looks really over spiced for a single portion, one contains no 'chaat masala' (would have thought that to be integral?) and one contains Chicken tikka, which to my mind, would offer a different flavour to a traditional chaat?

Can any of you fine lads and lassies help out?

Thanks in advance,

Ray :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Chaat - Recipe request
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Guy's,

I'm looking for a 'good' Chicken Chaat recipe of restaurant quality (or thereabouts :)).  I personally have never ordered it, so don't know what taste I'm looking for but I will order one in the next couple of day's.

There are three recipes posted on cr0 but one looks really over spiced for a single portion, one contains no 'chaat masala' (would have thought that to be integral?) and one contains Chicken tikka, which to my mind, would offer a different flavour to a traditional chaat?

Thanks in advance,

A man after my own heart :) I love Chicken Chaat and am also looking for a restaurant quality version, might have a go at my own and see how it turns out.

Chicken, tomatoey, quite spicy, sometimes served on a bed of salad or not depending where you go really :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Hi Bob,

Hope you crack this one.  I'll have to order one and see if I can decipher what's in it!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Hi Ray,

I've just found this recipe in one of the electronic books I have for "Tiffin Snacks", which is for Aloo Chaat.

I'm thinking replace the potato with chicken breast or pre cooked chicken breast or maybe even chicken tikka and give it go :)

Ingredients :
Potato, boiled, peeled and cubed

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Guy's,

chicken rikka, chunky chat masala,onion,tomato puree, garlic,mixed powder,and some guravy.some put a little cut up cucumber,an 1 chillie cut in half

Thanks in advance,

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:54 PM »
chicken rikka, chunky chat masala,onion,tomato puree, garlic,mixed powder,and some guravy.some put a little cut up cucumber,an 1 chillie cut in half
Not sure if this was your intended recipe, IFFU, but if it was, I go along with Ray : chicken tikka has no place in a real chicken chat, despite the fact that many modern BIRs serve a dish of that name which is tikka-based; real chicken chat needs raw (or midly pre-cooked, at most) chicken, not chicken pre-cooked in the tandoor with tikka spicing.

Incidentally, Ray, I don't think you should discount the recipe that omits chat masala : after all, we've long ago learned not to discount recipes for curry that omit curry powder, so there's no reason not to believe that a really good authentic chicken chat (which I also love) can be made with the ingredients of chat masala without including it by name.

** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Is there a consistent definition of what constitutes Chicken Chaat?

Looking around the web, many recipes seem to suggest that chunks of chicken are used in the dish, sometimes in a sauce and sometimes without.

My local takeaway's Chicken Chaat consists largely of red-coloured, skinless chicken thighs served on a bed of sliced, raw onions with a quarter of lemon on the side. The meat is charcoal-blackened around the edges and it is certainly freshly cooked as any exposed bone usually burns holes through the polystyrene carton!

It is without a doubt a nice, succulent piece of chicken, but it has no discernible flavour other than...well, chicken!

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:54 PM »
chicken rikka, chunky chat masala,onion,tomato puree, garlic,mixed powder,and some guravy.some put a little cut up cucumber,an 1 chili cut in half
Not sure if this was your intended recipe, IFFU, but if it was, I go along with Ray : chicken tikka has no place in a real chicken chat, despite the fact that many modern BIRs serve a dish of that name which is tikka-based; real chicken chat needs raw (or midly pre-cooked, at most) chicken, not chicken pre-cooked in the tandoor with tikka spicing.

Incidentally, Ray, I don't think you should discount the recipe that omits chat masala : after all, we've long ago learned not to discount recipes for curry that omit curry powder, so there's no reason not to believe that a really good authentic chicken chat (which I also love) can be made with the ingredients of chat masala without including it by name.

** Phil.
Phil if you are looking for an authentic taste,then you will not get from a BIR as they cook for British pa lat

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Phil if you are looking for an authentic taste,then you will not get from a BIR as they cook for British pa lat
They are changing (for the worse), IFFU : once upon a time it was very easy to get a real chicken chat and a chicken bhuna; these days, only too often the chicken chat is a travesty, made with chicken tikka (I blame the British obsession with CTM for this), and the chicken bhuna is just a sauce-based mess :(

** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Hi Ray/Bob
I've ordered a Chicken Chatt before and was served a chilled Chicken Salad
sprinkled with Chatt Masala powder, which was good but quite unusual.

A cooked Chicken Chatt is a mini Bhuna Chicken with Chatt Masala seasoning and the main spice hit in the masala is the Black Salt.

Some good Restaurants do a pan of small chopped precooked Chicken which is especially for starters like Chicken Chatt and Bhuna Chicken on Puri.
Depending how they precook the Chicken, this adds to the final taste of the Chatt.

How I cook a Chicken Chatt.
Do a mini Bhuna, Half the ingredients of a normal Bhuna.

1. Sweat down Chopped Onion and G.Capsicum mix (Service Onions)
2. A touch G&G, cook out
3. A touch of the usual, Tomato Puree dilute, Mixed powder, Kashmiri Chilli Powder and 1tsp of Chatt Masala. cook out
4. Add the small chopped precooked Chicken pieces and a little of the stock. heat through for a minute.
5. Add a Chefs spoon of curry base, a fresh chilli chopped and a pinch of chopped coriander. Heat through for a minute or until it all becomes semi/dry.
6. Serve and garnish with sliced Tomato, Cucumber an a wedge of Lemon, not forgetting a little dusting of Chatt Masala.

I like this with a deep fried Puri or I do like Mission Deli Wraps, heated/toasted through on my Tawa with an egg wash and coriander.
I did do a video of this recipe, I'll have to upload it somewhere, I just don't like YouTube.

cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes