Author Topic: Sunday dinner (my first experiment)  (Read 2880 times)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Sunday dinner (my first experiment)
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:13 AM »
This weekend I put my newly discovered knowledge (thanks to this site) to the test. This was the first time in about a year that I ruled the kitchen ... well, apart from the Seekh Kebabs a couple of days ago.

I made a batch of CA's Mix Powder, CA's Tandoori Masala Spice Mix, CA's Chicken Tikka, C2G's Onion Bhajis, Dipuraja's Mint Raita and a generic chicken curry using CA's base, some Garlic/Ginger paste and some mix powder plus coconut and cream.

Making the base was quite fun but also a lot of work to get everything prepared. I initially thought it might have be a bit too "gingery" for my taste but it tasted pleasant when done. My wife said she'd eat it as soup anytime ;) The house smelled great while cooking it (not sure if my neighbours agree, though ;)

Making the Tikka was also a lot of fun and they smelled and tasted marvellous (thanks CA!). Getting that damn food colour off my fingers again is another story ;)

Based on CA's gravy and spice Mix I came up with a chicken curry as outlined above. I didn't follow any particular recipe at all and it still turned out to really nice !!! It even looks the business (to me at least). I settled on calling it a "Korma", even if it isn't really ;)

Curry2Go's Onion Bhajis were a bit of a disappointment, though. They tasted OK, just not as exceptionally good as I hoped they would. I've had an onion bhajis recipe for years that's much better than this one. Since I'll be inviting some guests over in a week's time I'll have to find a better one for sure. I think I'll try CA's next and if that one fails to impress me, too, then I'll try the Ashoka recipe.

Dipuraja's Mint Raita was also just "ok" - usually I lick the stuff off the plate but this time I didn't. I'll need to find a better one for sure. Any recommendations ?

Here are some pictures of the stuff I made. I didn't take enough pictures because I was quite knackered at the end.

CA's Spice Mix (Masala)

CA's Tandoori Masala Spice Mix

CA's Chicken Tikka/Tandoori

CA's Base Gravy - before cooking

CA's base gravy after cooking and blending

C2G's Onion Bhajis, Dipuraja's Mint Raita and some generic chicken curry:

Please let me know what you (honestly) think and if you have any recommendations for Onion Bhajis and Raita.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday dinner (my first experiment)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Hi Stonecut,

It all looks very good, well done on your first attempt :)

How about posting your recipe for Onion Bhaji's?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Well done!!! Trust me I know it's hard work but those pics look good to me.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Hi Stonecut,

It all looks very good, well done on your first attempt :)

How about posting your recipe for Onion Bhaji's?
My "old" onion bhaji recipe

This is a recipe I've used for years and I like the results. Since it's very basic I was hoping that C2G's recipe would be an improvement but, alas, it wasn't :(

Ingredients (approx. 2 starter portions):
  • 3 tbsp gram flour
  • 2 large onions
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp & 1/4 tsp cumin, ground (see method)
  • 1/4 tsp ginger (ground)
  • 1/2 tsp & 1/4 tsp coriander (ground) - see method
  • Ghee or oil
  • Water
  • Pinch of salt
Method:
  • Peel the onions and cut into rings. Heat the pan and gently fry the onions in the ghee or oil until soft.
  • Add ginger powder, turmeric, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder and the chili powder. Stir well and then put to the side.
  • In a separate bowl, combine the gram flour with another 1/4 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder and a pinch of salt.
  • Now add the gram flour mix to the onion mass and mix well making sure all onions get a bit of gram flour.
  • Add tiny amounts of cold water (with a spoon) until you get a very thick dough.
  • Use wet hands to form little balls of the mass (about ping pong ball sized) and deep-fry until lightly brown.
  • Give a minute to rest and then deep-fry again until golden brown.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Stirling effort indeed, well done. If you need help with your onion bhaji's take a look at the kitchen demo I put up:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4443.0

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Thanks, that demo looks nice. In the recipe it says "Aniseed" - can you specify what you mean exactly ? Actual Aniseed or Star Anise ? I have a bit of an issue since I need to translate the stuff to German and search for that in the Asia store here instead.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Hi StoneCut,

The demo does indeed use Aniseed and not Star Anise. Google tells me Aniseed is Anis in German.

Its been a while since I read through the entire topic but i am sure a posted a revised ingredients list within it. The original recipe is quite mild and you may wish to add a little extra spice, but it really allows the onion to be tasted. I simply add finely chopped green chili.

The beauty of the demo is that it gives you a good understanding of how to make the bhaji and allows you to experiment with your own flavour combinations. Of course I would suggest you start with the basic recipe as posted and work from there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:37 PM by Axe »

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:33 PM »
A couple of recipes I use that seem to go down well with everyone who has tried them.

Ratia
-  225g yoghurt (Greek is good)
-  1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
-  1/2 tsp garam masala
-  1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
-  1 teaspoon bottled mint jelly (or sauce)
-  1/4 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
-  1 tbsp fresh coriander (finely chopped)
-  pinch of salt (or to taste)
-  couple of drops of green or yellow (or other colour) food colouring (optional)
-  1 clove finely chopped garlic (optional)

Simply blend all of the ingredients together.

Onion Bhaji's

Ingredients

140g gram flour
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp all purpose spice mix
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp chilli powder
2tsp lemon juice
2tbsp vegetable oil, plus enough for deep-frying
2-8tbsp water
2 onions, thinly sliced
2tsp coriander or cumin seeds, lightly crushed
1 tbsp of Pataks Tikka Massala Paste (optional but recomended)

Method
Sift the gram flour, salt, cumin, turmeric, bicarbonate of soda, garam masala, seasoning and chilli powder into a large bowl.
Mix in the lemon juice and oil and then very gradually stir in just enough water to form a thick batter.
Slice the onions (and mix with the Pataks paste - optional)
Now mix in the onions and the crushed coriander/cumin seeds.
Allow the onions to 'sweat' in the batter for 1/2 hr before cooking. Mix well as the batter thins down.

Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a wok or deep-fat fryer until it reaches 170C.
Without overcrowding the pan, drop in spoonfuls of the onion mixture and fry for 2 minutes. Then use tongs to flip the bhajis over and continue frying for a further 2 minutes or until golden brown.

Immediately remove the bhajis from the oil and allow to cool.
Heat oil back up to 190c and fry the bhajis again for 30 seconds or so to crisp them up and lose the oil in them.
shake em dry and roll em on a kitchen towel.
Enjoy!

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Thanks for everyone's feedback! I'll be taking a close look at recommendations and then try out some other recipes as soon as my belly has recovered :)

©2024 Curry Recipes