Author Topic: Using BE's curry base  (Read 9656 times)

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
Using BE's curry base
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Hi,

I am new here and just found this site and would like to try my hand on the BE curry base.  I am referring to the recipe found in the pdf file Bruce Edwards Curry House Cookery Complete.

In the last section of this file, there is a recipe with the ingredients and method for the curry base, then a section on "Preparing it for use" and then a section "And now the Curry".  In this section there is a recipe to prepare the curry meal itself which does not actually define the recipe as a vindaloo, a madras a jalfrezi, etc.

The question that I have is this.  Is this base only to be used with the recipe in the same pdf file in the section "And now the Curry".  I imagine not and so would ask how can you prepare and use for a vindaloo or a madras chicken.  These are my favourite ones and that is why my interest however from other recipes in the forum they sort of show first the curry base and then a vindaloo or a madras to go with it...the BE base then just says prepare a curry. 

Can anyone give some details how to use this curry base and a good recipe to go with it for a madras and a vindaloo please.

Regards,
emann

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Using BE's curry base
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Bruce writes : ""This is a basic restaurant curry", so what he is describing is a basic BIR chicken curry (or mutton curry, or whatever base ingredient you choose to use).   He also writes "Chilli powder as required (1 levelled tablespoon for fairly serious Vindaloo)", so in his opinion there is a simple continuum  from a chicken curry to a chicken vindaloo, with a chicken Madras somewhere near the middle.  Others may well disagree, saying that both a Madras and a vindaloo have additional ingredients that make them unique, but I interpret Bruce's words as saying that he doesn't necessarily subscribe to that hypothesis.  Elsewhere in the work you cite, he does give individual recipes for vindaloo, phall, etc.

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I cooked with Bruce's base recipe for a good year and found it could be adapted to any type of curry. Like Phil says, further reading of his manuscript will take you to various recipes which include Madras and Vindaloo. However you can alter the ingredients to suit your own taste and if you look for other recipes on this site you will find some interesting discussions on what is and isn't a Vindaloo. This could result in confusion but what i take from this is the opposite - there are variations on every type of curry and as long as you are in the right "ballpark" you will end up cooking delicious curries.

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 03:10 AM »
thank you for the replies.

i know of the recipes in BEs article but i understood that these are to be used with the second method of the base (the one that uses radishes) which is followed by various recipes.

my question is that these recipes can so be used also with his other last curry base in view of the fact that the quantity of spices and type and quantity of ingredients in the curry base is different....is there a need to balance some of the items in the madras curry for example when cooked with the last update of the curry base.

thanks
emann

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Ah, sorry, failed to appreciate the full import of your question.  In which case, I can't help further : I have not tried Bruce's recipes, so have no first-hand experience on which to base an informed answer.

** Phil.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:57 PM »
hi emman if you checkout this link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=108.0  it is curryhouse cookery update. i would personally use this and use the recipes that are in the article most are there. they changed my curries for the better as a newbie they made my wife start eating my curries after khris dhillons' "curry secret" attempts now i just use one of mine and the simpliest bases from my local yummy bangladeshi/ indian "Mouchak" link here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5544.0
 i printed the BE document out i still love reading it!

kind regards
gary

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:46 PM »
This BE base is still my favourite and it can be used with any curry recipe on this forum.

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Hi Santa,

thanks for the reply...the question is this...i saw the BE document on your link and it is the one I am following.  My question is this: the recipes in this file can be followed for both the curry base with the radishes and the one given at the very last section of the file without modifying the quantities of the spices especially?

This is just the answer that I am after.

Thanks
emann

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:50 PM »
emann you'll get a perfectly edible curry no matter what mix of base sauce and curry recipe you throw together. You may not end up with the exact curry the author intended but it may even turn out better for it.

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 08:44 AM »
thanks to all...i have now returned home from overseas work and plan to use this wkend for some base and curries next week.

will keep you advised.

emann

©2024 Curry Recipes