Author Topic: Using BE's curry base  (Read 9655 times)

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Using BE's curry base
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Hi,

ok, done the BE base on friday and a madras yesterday.

well a particular taste was there but I was not really impressed and am sure i have a lot more to practice and learn.  The colour of the chicken madras remained quite orange rather than reddish even in view of the fact that i included paprika with the spice mix in the base which is optional.  I also used 1tsp kashmiri mirch as the chilli indicated in BEs recipe...there again not really anything very spicy.

What do you think is the next step to improve taste and get that dark red/brown colour of a madras?

thanks
emann

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Hi emann,

I haven't tried the BE recipes yet but adding more red chilli powder, say 1 tablespoon, will make the curry redder and more like madras heat.

Adding more mix powder will tend to make the curry sauce browner.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 03:19 PM »
I can only assume that the chilli powder in the BE recipes is the "Extra Hot" variety. A tsp of kashmiri mirch for a Madras, and a level tbsp for a vindaloo wouldn't be nearly enough.

Either as PaulP says, dial up the kashmiri mirch to a tablespoon for a Madras, or go with the extra hot type and keep BE's original spec.

-- Josh

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Hi All,

following your advise I made the second run with 1 tbspn spice mixture and 1 tbspn kashmiri chilli....and yes the colour, texture and taste is getting there...

tonight I will do another run for the madras maybe increasing these a bit more....hopefully i will achieve the taste long sought after.

what would be the next step...try another curry base maybe...which one is recommended for a madras (for me) and a korma (for the lady).

thanks
emann

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:07 PM »
I've only tried the SNS base yet (2 batches), but thought it was superb with the SNS Madras, CA Korma and Razors chicken Tikka Rogan josh.

SNS Base and Madras - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2757.0

CA Simple Korma - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7652.0

Razors Rogan josh - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5950.0

Blades Chicken tikka - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=874.0

I'm also wondering which base to try next, but as I've also got Mick Crawfords ebook, maybe I'll work through that first before tackling BE or any of the other wonderful creations on here.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Hi All,

following your advise I made the second run with 1 tbspn spice mixture and 1 tbspn kashmiri chilli....and yes the colour, texture and taste is getting there...

tonight I will do another run for the madras maybe increasing these a bit more....hopefully i will achieve the taste long sought after.

what would be the next step...try another curry base maybe...which one is recommended for a madras (for me) and a korma (for the lady).

thanks
emann

If you want a red/orange madras you need either a tomatoey base or add more tomato puree at the frying stage. The BE base is decidedly non-tomatoey, which is why I prefer it; I can add tomatoes/puree later. But a better base for a madras might be the SnS one which is very tomatoey (and is why I don't personally like it).

That along with a good frying of the spices at the start and a decent chilli powder should produce a nice orangey/brown madras.

The BE base should be fine for the korma though.

©2024 Curry Recipes