Author Topic: German Recipes for Knodel Please  (Read 7081 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
German Recipes for Knodel Please
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Hi all,

I've been tasked with making a traditional German dinner using Kn

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: German Recipes for Knodel Please
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Hi Axe,

a "Kn?del" is not necessarily potato-based. In fact, the most popular "Semmelkn?del" is made from dried breadcrumbs instead. If you are looking for a potato-based meal then it's probably a "Kartoffelkloss" (or "Kl?sse" in multiples) that you're looking for. Either way, it might be typically german but I honestly don't know anybody who eats them :-)

Anyway, I found two well-rated recipes for you on www.chefkoch.de.

First off, here is the recipe for "Semmelkn?del" (Kn?del made from Semmel or Br?tchen, which is the type of bread roll we eat for breakfast) - http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/197551083658477/Sivi-s-Semmelknoedel.html

Semmelkn?del
(4 servings)
6 bread rolls, old/dried-out
3 tbsp Parsley (fresh), chopped - funny how I was suggested "coriander" as translation ....
10 g Butter
1 onion, finely minced
250 ml milk
3 eggs
Salt and Pepper (from a mill)
ready-made breadcrumbs (to glue it all together)

Cut the bread rolls into small cubes or thin slices. Gently fry the chopped parsley and onion in the pan with the butter, don't let them take on colour, though. Now add the bread roll cubes. Heat up the milk until almost boiling and pour over the bread roll cubes. Let soak for approx. 10 minutes.

Mix the eggs with salt and pepper and add them to the dough mass. Don't let the dough get too firm. If the dough is still a bit too soft add some more breadcrumbs, do not use flour.

Now form balls approx. the size of tennis balls with wet hands. Add them to the simmering (but not hardcore-boiling) liquid (ie. salt water or stick) and let them simmer for about 20 minutes until they swim at the top.

"Semmelkn?del" are an ideal accompaniment for goulash, pork roast or roasted mushrooms.

Now here's the recipe for "Kartoffelkl?sse" (Potato Dumplings) - http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/473601141052125/Surina-s-seidene-Kartoffelkloesse-aus-gekochten-Kartoffeln.html

Kartoffelkl?sse
(4 servings)

600 g potatoes, the "mealy" kind
2 eggs
50 g potato flour
30 g Butter, melted
salt
nutmeg, freshly "grated" (is that the correct word in English?!)

Cook the potatoes in their shell, then peel them and put them on a flat plate/bowl. Next let them steam off some water in a pre-heated oven (2-3 minutes @ 150 degrees Celsius). They must entirely dry.

Force the dried potatoes through a potato press. The finer the dough, the finer the Kl?sse (potato dumplings) will be. So, force them through the potato press twice.

Use a spatula to add egg yolk to the potato mass in order to make it stick better. If you fail to do this then the Kl?sse will be tough and squidgy.

The amount of starch in potatoes is subject to changes, depending on time of year and so on. In order to get good Kl?sse all year round you should add 50 g potato starch.

In order for the butter to bond better with the potato mass you should heat it up and knead it into the dough while it's warm. Season the dough with salt and nutmeg.

Hint:
You must - at all times - make sure that the dough is fully smooth again before adding any more ingredients.

As soon as the dough is smooth and soft as a window leather you need to roll it into 2 rolls (4cm diameter). Each roll gets divided into 8 pieces. Now put potato starch on your hands and roll each piece into a little ball (the "Kloss").

As a result you'll get 16 pretty small but very fine dumplings.

Heat up salt water in a pot, let it boil then reduce to a simmer. Now add the dumplings (piping hot water would lead to the dumplings exploding). The dumplings need about 15 minutes until they are done. Take them out with a slotted spoon and let any excess water drip off.

Finally, I found a recipe for "Potato Kn?del" (your initial request) - here's a video which might help despite being in German:
http://www.kuechengoetter.de/video/Kuechenpraxisvideos-16025/Knoedel-selber-machen-16146.html

For the filling: Cube dry bread, roast in hot butter, let cool.

Force jacket potatoes into a bowl through a potato press.
Form a little mould in the dough
Add egg and flour
Add a pinch of salt

Stir the Kn?del dough.

Use your hands to make little Kn?del balls out of the dough.

Press a mould into every Kn?del, add some cubed bread pieces and close it again.

Cook the Kn?del. Here's a video demonstrating this bit, too:
http://www.kuechengoetter.de/video/Kuechenpraxisvideos-16025/Kloesse-einfach-und-richtig-garen-16080.html

Steps:
Put a pot with lots of water on the stove and add liberal amounts of salt. The water should not cook, only simmer.

Use a slotted spoon or similar tool to carefully put the Kn?del in the water. They will sink to the ground.

Shake the pot a little from time to time so they don't stick to the ground.

As soon as they float at the top they will be done. Just give them an extra minute in the water and then remove them with a slotted spoon.

BEWARE:
I didn't try any of these recipes. I neither personally like Kn?del nor Kl?sse.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Sorry Axe, can't help here...

The only German food I remember ordering in Germany when I was in the army was, "Bratwurst or Currywurst Mit Pomfrits," bitter :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:59 PM »
I would recommend a web search for Bramborov
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:11 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Actually, if you want to make some "german" food then make this:

It's about as german as a Chicken Tikka Masala is british - some even argue that it was invented in Berlin :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Actually, if you want to make some "german" food then make this: (image snipped) It's about as german as a Chicken Tikka Masala is british - some even argue that it was invented in Berlin :)
Ach, ein D

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Actually, if you want to make some "german" food then make this:

It's about as german as a Chicken Tikka Masala is british - some even argue that it was invented in Berlin :)

StoneCut - what's the name of the 'sandwich' type thing in the image you posted?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:29 AM by George »

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:50 PM »
George, it's a turkish D?ner sandwich. It was meant as a bit of a joke but it really is just as german as a Bratwurst (or CTM is british).

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28 PM »
George, it's a turkish D?ner sandwich. It was meant as a bit of a joke but it really is just as german as a Bratwurst (or CTM is british).

I thought it looked rather like a doner kebab. Tasty!

I'm sorry for all the questions or if you've mentioned this before, but are you German-born, a Brit living in Germany or what, please?

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50 PM »

I thought it looked rather like a doner kebab. Tasty!

I'm sorry for all the questions or if you've mentioned this before, but are you German-born, a Brit living in Germany or what, please?
A bit of everything :) I'm the german-born, german-raised son of a british Expatriot. My mom's german, my dad met her when he was stationed here in the british army. I grew up in Germany but have a british passport. Since I'm legally not a german but also didn't spend much time in the UK either you could say I'm stateless.

Confused? I know I am.

©2024 Curry Recipes