Author Topic: German Recipes for Knodel Please  (Read 7082 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: German Recipes for Knodel Please
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:43 PM »
A bit of everything :) I'm the german-born, german-raised son of a british Expatriot.

Ah, that partly explains why your English is so good. I assume your German is at least as good, also.

Aren't you also entitled to German nationality like I thought anyone born in the UK is, especially if one of their parents is of that nationality?

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34 PM »
A bit of everything :) I'm the german-born, german-raised son of a british Expatriot.

Ah, that partly explains why your English is so good. I assume your German is at least as good, also.

Aren't you also entitled to German nationality like I thought anyone born in the UK is, especially if one of their parents is of that nationality?
Well, we used to have a draft army (the bundeswehr) and as a 18 year old I wasn't too keen on it so I didn't apply for german citizenship ...

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Hi Stonecut,
Many thanks for a fantastic response. I'm a little cautious now given your comments on the potato version but I remain inquisitive and will give both versions a try out in the coming weeks. I'm a bit of a sucker for trying new cuisines and putting my take on it, ask Phil! I have to be honest, the images i've seen of the potato version do look very tasty indeed. I am considering serving it with sliced pork fillet braised in a white wine, cream & butter sauce with sliced mushrooms and some savoy cabbage sauteed in butter. Would you consider this to be close to a traditional serving of the Knodel?

PS the Berlin Doner looks fab!

Hi Phil,
Its been a while, I trust all is well with you and your good lady. Thanks for the link, they do indeed look identical to to the Knodel I have been researching. What I do like though is that the Chech version seems to take it a little further by adding fillings to the dumplings. Very similar to my attempts to make an English suet dumpling  with pate in the centre, an intriguing experiment!

Hi Bob,
Its no problem I still make regularly your Kleftico and Frango Piri Piri recipes and now with a little sun popping its head out, I shall be making the Stiffado again soon too! Still, Currywurst Mit Pomfrits sounds wunderbar!

Thanks to all, any further suggestions are both welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

Malc

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 02:41 PM »
...I still make regularly your Kleftico...

Off topic, I know, but...mmmmmm, Kleftico! Good shout! I'm off to source the recipe right now! :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 03:20 PM »
I don't mind it going off topic as long as its food orientated  ;)
You really ought to try Bob's recipe it is very good indeed. We ran a topic on this started by JerryM. We discussed quite a few recipes within it, all of which are very much worth a go.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5696.0

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 06:10 PM »
...You really ought to try Bob's recipe it is very good indeed...

Aye, I definitely will. I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that there ought to be a 976bar's recipes section. Hear! Hear! :)

Offline Harry Bosch

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 01:23 PM »
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/semmel_knodel

Don't know if this is any good to you. I live in Munich and my is wife German - she said this recipe is pretty authentic. Fortunately for us, the supermarkets here all sell them - either pre-made or in mixes.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 03:04 PM »
Thanks Harry, I kinda got sidetracked from this when I couldn't decide whether to make the potato variety or the read roll. I'll have to look at this again.

©2024 Curry Recipes