Author Topic: BIG Base  (Read 7141 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
BIG Base
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Following up on Haldi's big base thread, I was wondering whether anyone had tried to multiply a normal base. I have stated several times, I am a huge fan of CA's and Chewy's base gravies, and we often have people around at weekends to try out our new found knowledge.

A friend suggested that we cook up a BIG batch of gravy and feed a load of mates at the park opposite our house, by setting up a few BBQ's/camping stoves etc., and let people have a go at making a curry themselves. i think it'd be a fun day.

The thing I am concerned with is, say if I wanted to make 5 or 10 times the amount of Chewy's base, would I times everything by 5 or 10? I once had a Boxing Day party where I made Pat Chapmans "Pakistani Curry gravy" and I made 8 times the normal amount, so i added 8 x the normal amount of chilli.....well it was so hot it really was inedible. It was a huge embarrassment and an awful waste of food.

So, should I try it? ???

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BIG Base
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Hi Mick
Why don't you try Curry Barking Mad's little india recipe?
That's a full sized base and there's video, to show how to do it
That way you won't have to scale up a recipe

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Hi Mick
Why don't you try Curry Barking Mad's little india recipe?
That's a full sized base and there's video, to show how to do it
That way you won't have to scale up a recipe

I could do mate, but as I said I am particularly fond of CA's and Chewy's bases. Plus I read reviews, and I think it was CA himself who wasn't too happy with this base. i think he said something along the lines that it tasted bitter, and he had never really had much success in the past with tinned tomatoes in bases.

I wouldn't want to chance "cocking" things up with an expectant crowd. :o

Anyhow, I had a good read again and CA said that larger or smaller quantities of his base can be made by increasing/decreasing things in proportion.........that sounds good enough to me.

Now all we need is some decent weather. Winter has well and truely struck here in Perth. But this event will go ahead in a few weeks time. I may even be able to get out and about with my camera this time, if I have several helpers.  8)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Hi Aussie Mick how many people will you be cooking for?

I use CA's base all the time and make curries for anything between 5-30 people.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:25 PM »
GDAY Mick
How big a curry pot have you got?
I'll work it out for you... If you like.

Regardless of size, any BIR base should be 90% Onions and lightly flavoured.
cheers Chewy

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Hi fellas

A mate of mine has bought me a 50 litre stock pot off ebay just to do this one off meal. :D

I haven't received it yet, but it has been posted so it should be here soon.

We could have about 50 adults plus kids (100 or so kids) I know, I know I'm daft for agreeing to this, beer makes you agree to daft things ???  BUT I think it'll be a good day, we're taking over the local park and there'll be an "Ashes" cricket test match too, that everyone will be involved in.

By my reckonings, we will need about 35 litres of base which will give enough to cook 116 curries at 300ml or so each. We will have at least 10 "chefs" ::) and plenty of kitchen hands, so the food should/could be rustled up within an hour or so, 2 hours tops.........god what HAVE i let myself in for???  :o

People have agreed to pay $5 per head to cover the costs, so we just have to set a date. We are watching the weather over the next few weeks, and this event will definitely go ahead. If you're in Perth, you are welcome to join us. An extra chef or two would be most welcome, along with a few onion peelers.

People have been warned that they will be photographed and put on t'internet :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Plenty of people have their own rice cookers that they are going to bring along too. I think we'll be a strain on the Aussie national grid on that day when we switch them all on.  :o

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:27 PM »
...beer makes you agree to daft things...

Too true, Mick, but this is going to be an epic cooking session! I wish you luck and good weather. Better get the tinnies in! :)

If you're in Perth, you are welcome to join us...

My daughter and her man are up in the north of WA but they're often in Perth. I don't suppose she'll be lucky enough to be around when your adventure kicks off, but she definitely likes a good curry. I'm not sure that her local shop has even heard of curry powder, never mind the alchemist ingredients that we all must surely have accumulated by now.

Looking forward to the photos. :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Hi fellas

A mate of mine has bought me a 50 litre stock pot off ebay just to do this one off meal. :D

I haven't received it yet, but it has been posted so it should be here soon.

We could have about 50 adults plus kids (100 or so kids) I know, I know I'm daft for agreeing to this, beer makes you agree to daft things ???  BUT I think it'll be a good day, we're taking over the local park and there'll be an "Ashes" cricket test match too, that everyone will be involved in.

By my reckonings, we will need about 35 litres of base which will give enough to cook 116 curries at 300ml or so each. We will have at least 10 "chefs" ::) and plenty of kitchen hands, so the food should/could be rustled up within an hour or so, 2 hours tops.........god what HAVE i let myself in for???  :o

People have agreed to pay $5 per head to cover the costs, so we just have to set a date. We are watching the weather over the next few weeks, and this event will definitely go ahead. If you're in Perth, you are welcome to join us. An extra chef or two would be most welcome, along with a few onion peelers.

People have been warned that they will be photographed and put on t'internet :)

You're a brave man but I'm sure your guests will be very happy.Plenty of photos please!

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Well Aussie Mick

It sounds a fantastic curry party that is going to happen!

The weight alone of that 35 ltr curry pot will be something - full of onions and fluid.

Have you thought about cooking the base in 2 pots, liquidizing them and pouring into the big pot and keeping it warm whilst making the curries.

I will wait to hear Chewy's answer to you - he is right with the 90 percent onions

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes