Author Topic: Greek Dolmades  (Read 1525 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Greek Dolmades
« on: June 21, 2012, 06:44 AM »
As the Greek topic has risen it's head again, it reminded me of the wonderful Dolmades (Stuffed Vine Leaves) I used to enjoy at the restaurant where I worked all those years ago. Enjoy :)

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots, finely chopped
1 bunch spring onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
125 g cooked short grain rice
50g sultanas
50g pine kernels, toasted
Small bunch of dill, finely chopped
Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
Black pepper
15-20 vine leaves
Greek yogurt, for serving

Alternatively for the meat version, replace the sultanas & pine kernels with 500g of lamb or beef mince.

Method
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the shallots, spring onion and garlic. Fry gently for 5 minutes until softened.  For the meat version, add the mince at this stage and cook for 20 minutes until mince is cooked through and tender.

Remove the pan from direct heat. Mix in the rice, sultanas, pine nuts, dill, parsley and lemon juice and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.  For the meat version add everything apart from the sultanas and pine kernels.

Lay out the vine leaves shiny side down. Place about 10g of the rice mixture in the centre of each vine leaf. Roll up each leaf over the rice filling, forming small, neat, tightly-rolled parcels.

Line the bottom of a large pot with any damaged grape leaves and place the rolled dolmades side-by-side (seam-side down) in a single layer on top of the leaves. Pour over 1
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:44 AM by 976bar »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Dolmades
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Alternatively for the meat version, replace the sultanas & pine kernels with 500g of lamb or beef mince.

Thank the Lord for that.  When I read "sultanas" and "pine kernels", I thought "This is unlike any dolmades I have ever eaten, or would ever want to eat" !  Also interested to read "125 g cooked short grain rice"; I hadn't appreciated that this was a short-grain dish, so I have definitely learned something.

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Dolmades
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:22 AM »
I hope you enjoy them Phil :)

©2024 Curry Recipes