Author Topic: Wanted: chicken naga recipe  (Read 23049 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Wanted: chicken naga recipe
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Does anyone have a good BIR chicken naga recipe please? I've tried adding a couple of spoons of Mr Naga to a plain chicken curry but there was something missing. Chicken naga, when I've ordered it from takeaways has been a delicious very hot dish with green peppers and green chillis and a distinctive naga flavour.

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: chicken naga recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:24 PM »
My local does naga chicken, i love it!, to me theirs is just a hot madras and yes they use lots of Mr naga, it is a tasty chilli without doubt, to most of my cooking I add naga even in my beans on toast.

Fishy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:54 PM »
would love to know more about naga dishes myself.

the Mr Naga has not really done it for me. it's a tad more hassle but well worth making it yourself (chewytikka inspired link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6005.msg60013#msg60013)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:48 AM »
Thanks Jerry but I really have zero interest in making my own naga paste :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49 AM »
For me, the hotter the dish the more it overpowers the other flavours of the dish.

I sometimes combat this by crumbling a little knorr chicken stock cube in the final curry. Maybe not BIR inspired, but certainly brings back some flavour to the dish rather than just heat.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Great question though Nutterjack,

I know just what you mean-I love a Chicken Naga from my local BIR-Its the only curry I order now, as thanks to this site, I feel I make superior 'Standard' curries than they do.

Does anyone know where you can buy fresh nagas from?

Matt

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Hi NJ
Chicken Naga can be made any which way, Chef, Restaurant, Region, but it really comes down to the product Mr. Naga pickle,
which arrived around here about Twenty years ago.

On any menu these days, you'll probably find 3 or 4 dishes which have Mr.Naga as an additive,
nobody will use fresh Green Naga as I'ts far too fierce and dangerous for customers - unless they use it in a gimmick/joke curry like a Curry Hell/Bombay Blaster etc...

To match your local, make a Bhuna style curry with plenty of spicing and add the Mr. Naga halfway through a 10min cook,
reducing down at least 3 lots of curry base to create the Bhuna.

My Achari video is an example of the technique. https://vimeo.com/24117518

I'll be cooking this later, as Friday night is curry night ;D

Comfort food for all this miserable weather  :'( issing down and even the Fog Horn droning on and on and on  >:(

cheers Chewy

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Do post us some pics CT.  I'm trying to decide whether to venture to the pub or  have an NIS delivered ???.  Busy week and too tired to cook tonight ::)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:58 PM »

To match your local, make a Bhuna style curry with plenty of spicing and add the Mr. Naga halfway through a 10min cook,
reducing down at least 3 lots of curry base to create the Bhuna.

Thanks CT I will definately try this, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. I've been cooking 976Bar's Bhuna recently which is lovely so will try it with some Mr Naga added. What would you reckon, couple of teaspoons?

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Hi Nj
If your just going for the Naga flavour, 1 tsp would be enough in a single portion curry,
especially if you have chilli pdr and fresh green chillis in as well, depends how hot you like it.
But you will get the full on flavour, with 1 tsp.
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes