Author Topic: Hi from France  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi from France
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Hi to all you curry fans,

I've just joined CRO: As a Brit living in France for over 20 years now, if there's one thing I do miss is a damned good BIR curry. You can get a reasonable one in the restaurants here but NOTHING like a great British one. The French don't generally like very hot food so it's difficult to get a curry hot enough by our standards or else they'll just sling in some extra chili powder on demand but as we all know, that just ain't the way! So I'm looking forward to trying out your such very tasty looking recipes and who knows, maybe share one or two with you if I manage to come up with something interesting...although must admit, you all seem way ahead of my curry knowledge so far. I do have a great recipe and above all, method, for making Naan bread at home, just like the local TA. I'll submit it if nobody else has already.

Cheers to all and "? bient?t"!

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from France
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Welcome to cr0 Clive .

I'm sure you'll soon be knocking up authentic BIR curries in France ... just follow the great advice here.

I'd love to see your naan recipe since I've never managed to make a decent one .. please post in the bread section and I'll give it a whirl.     :)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Welcome from another ex-pat in France.

Like you I started cooking BIR style because of the poor standard of food in restaurants. Luckily I live in Paris, so at least all the ingredients are readily available.

you'll find all the recipes you need here to do yourself proud.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Hi Fried

Just goes to show you can take the Brit out of the UK but you cant take the BIR craving out of the Brit!!!

Enjoy  :)

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Hello again...sorry for the delay in answering but i've just got back from hols to read your much appreciated welcoming messages. Thanx. Yes Collin, I will post my naan bread recipe asap. I will just warn you now that to succeed you will need a good pan and  one essential piece of apparatus...a chefs blow torch. (or a real one, the camping gas cylinder type you can buy in DIY stores but I find it less practical as it tends to go out when you tilt it). I know it sound mad but believe me the result is magic as the effect is that of a Tandoor oven with the intense heat coming from both sides!
I'll get it down as soon as I get 5 mins!

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Welcome from another ex-pat in France.

Like you I started cooking BIR style because of the poor standard of food in restaurants. Luckily I live in Paris, so at least all the ingredients are readily available.

you'll find all the recipes you need here to do yourself proud.

Ok Fried...I live in Meaux in the 77 dept (hence the Clive77!) around 45 mins from Paris. We'll have to meet up some time for a good meal (I'll spare you the wife and kid so we can have a reall curry!)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Bonjour Clive et bienvenue sur le forum de L'ecosse. I also use the blow torch for crisping up the top of my naans and please do post your recipe it all adds to this community of curryholics.

I've been to Paris quite a few times and had a curry once, but it just didn't do it for me and as ever it's always a bit strange to be asked, "et avec des legumes?"

Curry on buddy.

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Bonjour Clive et bienvenue sur le forum de L'ecosse. I also use the blow torch for crisping up the top of my naans and please do post your recipe it all adds to this community of curryholics.

I've been to Paris quite a few times and had a curry once, but it just didn't do it for me and as ever it's always a bit strange to be asked, "et avec des legumes?"

Curry on buddy.
OMG..I'm talking to an elite curry master, I feel like the karate kid kneeling before his master! RESPECT!
Yes, know what you mean re the French version of currys and adding legumes. I consider myself lucky though as I have a local restaurant which actually knocks out a reasonable (I did say "reasonable") Madras, never hot enough but that at least tastes pretty good and in their defence, have a good sheek kebab for starter, great pilau rice and perfect naan bread. So all in all not too bad by french standards. 
OK, having spoken to you now has given me the confidence and motivation I needed to get down to it and post my naan bread recipe. Just need to work out excatly where to post it.

On y va!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Welcome Clive.  Nice to  know that France isn't a total loss re. "BIR" or should i say "FIR" ???. Spend a little time on here and you'll soon be out-doing their offering mate.  Keep us posted on how it goes.

Offline DeadBeat

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:43 PM »
I goto Paris several times a year, and I avoid French Indian Restaurants like the plague.
Just as the Indian foods were adapted for BIR, the French adapted their Indian food to be bland and dissappointing. Particularly avoid Saravana Bhavan on Rue du Faubourg St Denis. My wife and I had a very very bad experience in there last year.

©2024 Curry Recipes