Author Topic: Lamb Karahi as influenced by CRO members  (Read 11596 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
It is a bad thing and I wish you'd stop doing it please!  >:(

It is a bad thing /in your opinion/, Santa : an opinion to which you are completely entitled and with which I completely disagree.
** Phil.

The fact that you're the only one doing this Phil amongst a forum of several thousand should give you a clue as to which of us is right!  ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
The fact that you're the only one doing this Phil amongst a forum of several thousand should give you a clue as to which of us is right!  ;)

And if you were to be the only driver doing less than 71 miles per hour on a British motorway, would you still argue that the majority are nonetheless right ?

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile

And if you were to be the only driver doing less than 71 miles per hour on a British motorway, would you still argue that the majority are nonetheless right ?

** Phil.

As I said - pig headed!  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Karahi as influenced by CRO members
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 11:35 PM »
I agree with SS that changes to thread titles mid-way through a thread are just plain misleading, and irritating. I wish I could do something about it but I can't.

Admin - if you read this, and if you agree with SS and myself, is it possible for you to disable the thread title change option?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I totally agree that changing thread titles is a bad idea on this forum.

If Admin can stop it so much the better.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Consider the following :

A number of people are complaining about seeing weird symbols. I've done a basic analysis and I think this is what's going on: In the past, most computers were using a simpler text encoding scheme (ISO-8859-1) and these days most software would use a more robust and international encoding (utf-8). What happens is that prior to the forum upgrade sometime in december, the forum was storing and reporting the encoding to be in the old format (ISO-8859-1) and since the upgrade it is storing it in UTF-8, however, the server is not yet fully up to date with the new encoding and is communicating back still in the old encoding format (ISO-8859-1).

Now, until `Admin` fixes it, there is a temporary workaround. For recipes that show weird characters, try changing the encoding to utf-8.

For firefox users: menu View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8)
For chrome users: File( alt+f )/Menu -> tools -> encoding ->  Unicode (UTF-8)

This will change those characters to the readable characters.

The  "auto-detect" feature in firefox doesn't seem to work properly, but give it a try and if it works for you, use it. Chrome's autodetect seems fine in the limited testing I've done.

I agree with SS that changes to thread titles mid-way through a thread are just plain misleading, and irritating. I wish I could do something about it but I can't.

Admin - if you read this, and if you agree with SS and myself, is it possible for you to disable the thread title change option?

I totally agree that changing thread titles is a bad idea on this forum.

If Admin can stop it so much the better.

All three were posted within the thread "Lamb Karahi as influenced by CRO members", yet not one of those three messages has any relevance to the original thread subject whatsoever, and is just a follow-up to an unrelated point made in an earlier post.  Changing the subject allows the sender to indicate that fact, rather than misleading his or her readers into believing that there may be some relevance.  When I visit CR0, which I do using the URL http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=forum#upshrinkHeaderIC, I scan the list of subjects and read those that are potentially of interest.  "Lamb Karahi as influenced by CR0 members" is of considerable interest; character encodings somewhat less so; people's views on changing the subject line within a thread, of relatively little.  Thus if /more/ use were made of the ability to change subject lines within threads (rather than seeking to have this vital feature withdrawn), access to messages of potential interest would be considerably enhanced.

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamby the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I didn't read all that waffle Phil, I just think it is confusing and makes the forum harder to navigate.

Maybe we should have a vote if indeed the feature can be disabled.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Off-topic reply by Paul P
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 12:17 PM »
I didn't read all that waffle Phil, I just think it is confusing and makes the forum harder to navigate.

If you didn't read it, Paul, then you are in no position to judge whether it is waffle or fact.  Perhaps you should read more and opine less.

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01 PM »
do you mean the thread title or, the subject of individual replies?

As for "fixing",  I would think that it is of utmost importance that the admin fixes the underlying content encoding issue as a priority

©2024 Curry Recipes