Author Topic: Butter Chicken  (Read 7482 times)

Offline mjohn425

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Butter Chicken
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Hey guys I'm new here, I'm actually from Australia but I like the forum you have going on here. I've been looking around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for though. For ages now I have been trying to make my own Butter Chicken but it never turns out anything like the Indian shops, I mainly go to a little takeaway shop down the corner. So just wondering if someone could link me to or supply their own Butter Chicken recipe, preferably not hot. Thanks in advance :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Butter Chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:08 AM »
mjohn - try my recipe which I have adapted over the years

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8087.0

Steve

Offline mjohn425

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Thanks Steve, will do, I'll let you know how it goes aswell.

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Hi mjohn,

What part of Aus are you in, I'm in Bris.

You'll find the BIR versions of Butter Chicken are different to what we have here in Aus.

Regards,
Mark

Offline mjohn425

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:56 AM »
Brisbane too, I've found most butter chicken around Brissy tastes roughly the same anyway, do you know of any recipes that taste similar?

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:09 AM »
Awesome, another Brisbane Curry Forum member.

We nearly have enough to get together and have a bit of a curry day, I know of at least four in the Brisbane area who are on the forum.

The secret to Aussie Indian Restaurant Butter Chicken is in the gravy/paste that is used.

I know this as I work part time when I can in Indian Restaurants and also assist running the cooking classes with one of the chefs here in Brisbane. By day I'm a computer programmer.

It is very simple, no boiling of onions and no blending of them either, but easy & perfect Butter Chicken when the gravy is made right.

It's like most things unless you see someone do it, it doesn't make sense or turn out the right way. I notice that at the cooking classes too. For example one part of the process says ...turn the heat down low and cook the onions until they are dark brown and caramelized, do not let them burn!. Yet people rush through the process and start adding the ginger & garlic paste when the onions are no where near cooked.

Gotta run to drum lessons with the kids, will be back later with more...

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Hi Mark

I would be very interested in learning how to make a AIR butter chicken too.

Before finding this site, i used to cook onions down in this manner as per Madhur Jaffrey/Pat Chapman recipes, (for 20 odd years), so I think I am confident in making sure they are properly cooked before going onto the next process.

Any hints/tips you have would be warmly received.

I've stated before that I do prefer BIR as a whole, but a good Aussie/Kiwi butter chicken takes some beating. 8)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:44 AM »
hi guys this is from a porgamme caled "PERFECT........indian!" and she cooks this dish as butter chicken as her perfect chicken tikka masala she is up against cyrus todiwala head chef at bombay brasserie and the panel picked her dish! or check out heston blumenthals series "in search of perfection.... chicken tikka masala" again his is based on authentic butter chicken adapted as only he knows how  ::) from the moti mohal in delhi!

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/645029
http://www.dominicsayers.com/documents/ChickenTikkaMasala.pdf

hope this helps

regards
gary :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22 PM »
this post is what i use http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2100.msg17943.html#msg17943/

link to my current recipe: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2100.msg56796#msg56796

i've never had butter chicken in BIR so can't comment myself. the 2 people i cook it for have and seem well pleased (they keep asking for it).

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Masala Mark - are you back from your drum lessons yet? Wouldnt mind hearing a few more of your tips. Wife loves her butter chicken and our restaurant makes a really good one. Ive never managed to get anywhere close to replicating it. Stephen Lindsay your recipe sound fantastic and that picture looks the goods. Any quick Butter chicken in a hurry recipes? Wouldnt mind doing one tonight for dinner.
Cheers
Steve

©2024 Curry Recipes