Author Topic: My Cash and Carry Goodies.  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
My Cash and Carry Goodies.
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:45 PM »
A few additions to my Curry arsenal that I have not used before.
I got these from my local cash and carry, a bit sparse I know.
Has anybody heard of the JB special curry powder, the shop assistant told me to use very sparingly and to me it smells a bit like five spice powder, very pungent.

I did not buy the Kashmiri chili, they only had this big bag for a fiver and I'm holding out on the MDH brand.

I got this frozen Okra, I have never tasted this stuff but will chase up a recipe in due time.

I also got a litre of Pride no cholesterol sunflower oil, excuse my ignorence, is this as healthy as it sounds? :-\

How should I use the masala, should I use it as a curry powder or a garam masala!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just had a good read up on the Kitchen King in past threads so I've got my head around that one.
I should imagine the JB should be used in the same manor?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:39 PM by Tommy Timebomb »

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My Cash and Carry Goodies.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52 AM »
Hi TT

Can you provide any links to Kitchen King? I did a search and it came up with 1,000,000's of replys as any word ending with "king" came up LOL

I have seen that product in Perth shops, but never ever thought of buying it, and i must have overlooked the threads on here about it. ??? I wish we could get Tamarina down here, but alas...no!

Okra, you will either love or hate, there isn't much inbetween. Personally, if it's cooked right, I love the stuff. Can't offer any advise on the curry powder. Never seen/heard of it.

Happy Cooking mate. 8)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Hi TT

Can you provide any links to Kitchen King? I did a search and it came up with 1,000,000's of replys as any word ending with "king" came up LOL

I have seen that product in Perth shops, but never ever thought of buying it, and i must have overlooked the threads on here about it. ??? I wish we could get Tamarina down here, but alas...no!

Okra, you will either love or hate, there isn't much inbetween. Personally, if it's cooked right, I love the stuff. Can't offer any advise on the curry powder. Never seen/heard of it.

Happy Cooking mate. 8)

Hi Mick,

What does Okra taste like or does it have its own unique taste? I've never tried it before.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Hey 976,

If not cooked right it can be very slimy.

I think the best way to describe okra would be a little bit like green peppers...but better....if you know what I mean. I love green peppers in a curry, and I've even deep fried them and they tase superb. Well, okra has a similar taste to me, but yes, quite unique too. It is difficult to describe the taste, it's just something you have to try.

The first time I had it was in Greece, on the road to Athens in a little road side cafe, and it was cooked beautifully with tomatoes and olives, in a rich sauce. I was hooked on it from that point. I have never managed to cook it as good as this, but I keep trying. ;)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:22 PM »

I had the same results on the search Mick but when done with the phrase between quotation marks IE "Kitchen King" then it comes back with the exact phrase, this also works on goolgle as well as this site but sometimes gets overlooked, it may also be worth throwing MDH in the serch field also.

There is quite a write up here on the K/K and I suspect the JB masala should be used in the same manor.
It is very strong, I have not even opened the box yet. From what I can tell the K/K is also like this once opened.

As for the Okra I am hoping to start making a few veg dishes so I must get my head around Okra and aubergine.

I have a local Curry Hut in the market (tables and chairs outside etc) and he does me a mixed meat and veg takeaway, I'm hopeing to get somewhere near this, not very BIR but as my misses says most of my dinners end up looking like a car accident and that's just the way I like them. :)

A quick link leading to everywhere and nowhere...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kitchen+king+masala&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&gs_nf=1&pq=kitchen%20king%20masala&cp=4&gs_id=1l&xhr=t&q=mdh+kitchen+king+masala&pf=p&client=firefox-a&hs=8BB&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&oq=mdh+kitchen+king+masala&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=dc263884026814f&biw=1280&bih=854

©2024 Curry Recipes