Author Topic: Can Garlic Ginger Paste be frozen?  (Read 5182 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Can Garlic Ginger Paste be frozen?
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I visit a big farmers market every second Sunday. This area of South East Queensland is ginger growing territory (I grew a meagre crop myself last year but with farm stuff available for around 4 GBP a kilo for fresh pink moist ginger why would you bother  ;D)

So far I have been whizzing up Garlic Ginger Paste to Levitesh's recipe with water and oil, and to make it worthwhile to drag out the blender, I end up with about half a litre which I store in a takeaway container in the fridge. However as it's a fresh product - as opposed to the commercial jars that have stabilisers etc - it goes a bit sour and manky after a few weeks.

I'm wondering if it can be frozen without ill effect? I've got a kilo of ginger at the moment and a heap of purple garlic but before re inventing the wheel I was wondering if anyone else does this.

Offline chrisbr

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Can Garlic Ginger Paste be frozen?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:08 AM »
I freeze mine in ice cube trays and haven't noticed any difference in taste compared with using fresh.

Chris

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Yes, no problem. Use an ice cube tray to give you some perfect 1 heaped teaspoon measures of G&G paste ready to go.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:33 PM »
HI BB
Yes it freezes and keeps well.

I don't make fresh G&G, to see how long it lasts in the fridge,
but if I did, It would be as I normally do, 50/50 G&G, Salt, Vegetable Oil and NO WATER.
Water is where the bacteria can grow, (Science bit) plus the Salt is a natural preservative.
Never known this to go off

I buy fresh G&G on a regular basis, but i also buy TAJ brand, frozen Garlic, Ginger
and Minced Green Chillis. I use these 3G's in most of my curries.

These little frozen blocks are a 100% natural and so cheap and handy.
a true No brainer, so freeze away. ;)
cheers Chewy

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 12:42 PM »
we mix big quantities here 10 kilos of ginger 10 kilos of garlic blended with a little boiling water, oil and a pinch of salt - we found that this combination stops it from turning a greeny colour - it stay a yellow white.
Yes it freezes very well - when you defrost it there may be a little more water/juice but hey chuck it in the pan at the same time - stops it all from burning.

best, Rich

Offline Emma Santiago

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 09:22 AM »
 I store fresh chopped garlic in just enough oil to cover, in a small glass jar in the fridge.
Ginger/garlic paste could be stored the same way, since you'll probably saute it anyway, as a base for your masala dishes.
It will be a great time saver if you prepare enough to last you about a week at a time.
Freezing is not a suitable alternative.

Offline fstr n u

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:31 AM »
Our local Indian Grocers stock ginger/garlic pst in plastic tins for a small amount of money which prevents me from further trying to freeze garlc/ginger pst.  i've tried freezing in the past and the end product is nothing close to fresh.  Don't freeze your garlic/ginger...plan for when you will use it and buy/make accordingly.  Freezing it kills some of the "essence" you are trying to achieve.

©2024 Curry Recipes