Author Topic: French Curry? Plus an experiment!  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
French Curry? Plus an experiment!
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Curry? On a menu in the South of France? Moule Curry et Frites? Oh yes please! I never imagined to find curry on a menu during a recent trip to the Continent, I simply had to order it, unsurprisingly it was not BIR, maybe FIR, I shall leave you to make your own acronym!

The mussels were fantastic, fresh, huge and cooked perfectly. The curry, well as you may see from the picture, a considerable amount of cream with some coconut; not too much though.

Perhaps you are thinking this isn

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: French Curry? Plus an experiment!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:03 AM »
First off, your curry looks excellent to me. Can't say much about the french curry, I'm not much a sea-food fan, but it looks nice but definitely not BIR, hehe.

Something else: I actually had to look up Frylight ... so it's a non-stick cooking spray, it seems. I wish we had that over here, but not for Curry.

So far I was under the impression that the amount of oil in BIR is actually key to achieving "that taste", so I'm not sure if using Frylight is such a good idea if you want to achieve an authentic flavour, but on the other hand I can fully understand your health reasons for wanting to try it.

One thing about these baking/cooking sprays: I don't know about this 1kcal one, but the "zero fat" cooking sprays are a scam: They contain regular vegetable oil but because a single serving/dose (it's just a wiff after all) contains less than 1g fat it is legal for manufacturers to say that they contain zero fat. You could just as well use one of those misters that are common for garden work, I guess.

Anyway, there are far more experienced curry cooks on here and I'm interested in their stance on these cooking sprays.

©2024 Curry Recipes