Author Topic: Chicken Jaflon vid  (Read 26803 times)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Jaflon vid
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:39 PM »
New vid from Julian - Chicken Jaflon
Chicken Jafflong from the Manzil
Looks a nice one and the quality of the vid is good - i love bir kitchens
Ta Julian

best, Rich

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jaflon vid
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Thanks for posting Rich ... an interesting vid no doubt !!    :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Looks good enough to be Tazified!

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I cooked this tonight. Very nice curry indeed :) The adding of garam masala, tandoori masala and mr naga at the frying stage seemed unconventional and resulted in a distinctive taste but I have to say it was pretty yummy. The quantities on the captions don't fully match what I observed the chef adding (as is the case with many video recipes I find) so I just freeze framed and copied what I saw the chef do. It's a curry I'll definately make again.

I've noticed on this vid and the other vid of the same chef (chicken mogul) that he uses a lot of mix powder so I copied this with good results. Most recipes seem to state 2 tsp so as standard I've always used 2 level tsp but in the jafflong video there's at least double and maybe as much as 5 level tsp crammed onto the side of that chef's spoon. Makes me wonder whether other recipes would also benefit from more mix powder and whether many people when they post recipes really mean 2 rounded or heaped tsp of powder (although when asked, most people claim to use level tsp). Well anyway I'm wandering off topic but back to Jafflong - worth a try would be my verdict.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:01 PM »
as with other posts the kitchens are the best i've seen - really well organised.

the small addition of base at a time is something i do for hot fry dishes (1 to 2 chef even) - it does make a difference c/w with the other extreme of all in. it prevents the heat dropping in the pan.

i can't see me adding the garam but each to your own.

i personally really appreciate the effort Julian makes.

had moved onto pizza but might just have to make base on these 2 dishes which i've never had in restaurant but really gell with.

as natterjack says defo use the video qty. i must admit i tend to stick to my existing norms. the mix "qty" being still a fascinating unknown to myself. for example if there was no info at all on the mix powder i would used just 0.5 tsp in this kind of dish. i'd want the fresh veg flavours to come out and the curry to sit in the background. it's worth doing a side by side comparison of the same dish to decide which suits you personally. obviously the amount of spice used in the base is a factor but contrary to what i would expect i believe i use low spicing in the base.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45 PM »
In summary: Jerry would cook a completely different recipe...!  ;D (only kidding Jerry!)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 12:02 AM »
I cooked this tonight. Very nice curry indeed :) The adding of garam masala, tandoori masala and mr naga at the frying stage seemed unconventional and resulted in a distinctive taste but I have to say it was pretty yummy. The quantities on the captions don't fully match what I observed the chef adding (as is the case with many video recipes I find) so I just freeze framed and copied what I saw the chef do. It's a curry I'll definately make again.

I've noticed on this vid and the other vid of the same chef (chicken mogul) that he uses a lot of mix powder so I copied this with good results. Most recipes seem to state 2 tsp so as standard I've always used 2 level tsp but in the jafflong video there's at least double and maybe as much as 5 level tsp crammed onto the side of that chef's spoon. Makes me wonder whether other recipes would also benefit from more mix powder and whether many people when they post recipes really mean 2 rounded or heaped tsp of powder (although when asked, most people claim to use level tsp). Well anyway I'm wandering off topic but back to Jafflong - worth a try would be my verdict.

Great vid

Good post natterjack. I've posted in the past about the use & levels of mp & gm. C2G uses a  Tblsp of mp, whereas Kushi uses between 1 & 2 tsp. Both claim (as I've never tasted)to produce, for example, a bhuna, which agreed has a fairley unique flavour.  Interestingly, Kushi have mentioned the differing results of spicing levels on their website. More interesting is the Ashoka(which I have tasted) kit which uses no mp, (no salt(contained in base & banjarra), using East End gm where the mix powder would normally be added, again still producing the bhuna etc. I'm finding the good gravy spicing/flavour & reduction technique is far more subtle & difficult to detect simply by tasting a base on it's own, but is crucial in a scaled down batch when cooking the final dish

regards
ELW 

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 04:41 AM »

Interesting Jerry, I use it in every curry, just a pinch at the end. I know it is more "home cooking" style to do this, but I just can't help myself.

I'll definitely give this one a try real soon. The mogul we had last night was SUPERB!!

Just one question for those in the know, we can't get naga pickle down here, so would I just use chilli pickle instead, and maybe add some more chilli powder? Is this a real hot curry?

Ta folks!

Thanks again for another top vid Julian 8)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02 AM »
Just one question for those in the know, we can't get naga pickle down here, so would I just use chilli pickle instead, and maybe add some more chilli powder? Is this a real hot curry?

Not very hot, no. Mild to medium I would say. Mr Naga is eye wateringly hot, but since only 1 tsp is added with no other chilli, the heat level of the finished curry wasn't high at all.

It's a shame you can't source Mr Naga as it has a very distinctive smokey, mustardy, hot flavour of naga chillies. I'm sure you won't achieve the same flavour with other ingredients. There are online stores in the uk who sell Mr Naga - not sure what the postage to Aus is going to amount to though. You really need to find a CR0 member who is going on their hols to Aus to tuck some into their suitcase then post it when they land!

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Thanks NJ

I've just bought a jar off ebay. $17 delivered. Can't wait to get it now. :o

©2024 Curry Recipes