Author Topic: Clive's "Blow Torched" Naan Bread recipe  (Read 26159 times)

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Clive's "Blow Torched" Naan Bread recipe
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 02:05 PM »
My idea is to attach a pizza stone into the lid of a webber type BBQ. When the lid is closed the stone is diectly over the flames. Once hot enough, remove the lid, stick on the Naan dough then replace it hoping that the dough is sticky enough to defy gravity. This will give the hot ceramic cooked crispy base to the naan along with a real blast of heat from the charcoal right in it's face.
More inginuity than Dick Dastardly! Quite honestly, outsiders must think we're raving bonkers coming up with these ideas...I know my wife does and even I'm starting to wonder too but I love it! The quest for the holy naan must go on! Go for it Chriswg and let us know what happens.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 03:11 PM »
My idea is to attach a pizza stone into the lid of a webber type BBQ. When the lid is closed the stone is diectly over the flames. Once hot enough, remove the lid, stick on the Naan dough then replace it hoping that the dough is sticky enough to defy gravity. This will give the hot ceramic cooked crispy base to the naan along with a real blast of heat from the charcoal right in it's face.
More inginuity than Dick Dastardly! Quite honestly, outsiders must think we're raving bonkers coming up with these ideas...I know my wife does and even I'm starting to wonder too but I love it! The quest for the holy naan must go on! Go for it Chriswg and let us know what happens.

As long as there is a gap between the stone and the flame it should be ok.
I did google yesterdee about stones over direct flames because i wondered if i could use one on my big burner.
But all replies came back with "NO, it will crack"  :o

Frank.  ;)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Most will crack but not these bad boys. They are designed to be used with the Big Green Egg BBQ's directly on the flames. There are a few videos of people cooking pizza on them on the BBQ.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/plate-setters-baking-stones/baking-stone-medium/

?40 for the medium is pretty steep though but probably worth it if it works.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Most will crack but not these bad boys.

I sort of get fed up with this, but here goes:

A pizza stone is a ceramic material and WILL crack if it is subjected to rapid heating and/or significant temperature differentials.  This, in my opinion, will also apply to these "bad boys" (unless there is something significantly different about their composition?).

But, at 40 quid a shot (?), go for it....but I wouldn't!  :P

But I do quite like the idea of a chimnea with a "tilting/hinged" chimney
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:47 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 03:49 PM »
If it does crack it's covered by a 3 year warranty so what's the risk?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14 PM »
If it does crack it's covered by a 3 year warranty so what's the risk?

It's covered by a 3 year (not 3 second?) warranty if it goes from ambient to 200C in 10 seconds????  Then I say "go for it"......(but I'd certainly be reading the small print!).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 03:42 AM »

Actually, you might be OK with this, assuming that the pizza stone is slowly pre-warmed and isn't too close to the coals/flames....good idea.

I guess it wouldn't be too disimilar to the heating rates and proximity to heat source that occurs to a pizza stone in a pizza maker.

I generally crack my pizza stones when the heating is too fast or liquid oozes from the naan onto it (e.g. when making keema naans)

As you stay, your bigger challenge might be keeping the naan stuck to the pizza stone.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 07:42 AM »

I actually think that is a good idea   i dont think you nessasssary need a pizza stone just a tava

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Hmmm a tava would be a cheap way to test the theory since I already have one. I'm not sure if you would get the nice crispy base without the ceramic surface but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 03:35 PM »
Hmmm a tava would be a cheap way to test the theory since I already have one. I'm not sure if you would get the nice crispy base without the ceramic surface but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Hi Chris,
You can indeed get the crispy base with a tawa.
The trick to it is to get the naan to stick to the tawa, just wet the dough a little while it is on your pad and stick it to the pre heated tawa, back on the flame until there are plenty of bubbles.
Then either cook the top under a hot grill or be brave and invert the tawa over the flame.
It will bubble and give you the darker spots.
Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes