Author Topic: Restaurant/Takeaway style chips  (Read 25838 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant/Takeaway style chips
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Yep, Cant beat chips cooked in Drippin.

So cook 'em in dripping !  I cook almost everything English in dripping : roast meats/potatoes, batter pudding, egg/bacon/black pudding/etc. (but pancakes in lard), so why not chips ? 

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 04:31 PM »
There was a small chain called Superfish who re-introduced dripping,

They have always cooked in dripping to my knowledge, i'll ask next time he's on the phone. ;) Their ranges are pretty impressive too, all digital controlled, all to cook the old way. Best fish n chips around. :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Just googled Superfish and they're still going strong in and around surrey and they still fry in beef dripping. well, well well.  ;D

Yep, I've got one near me and I've had fish and chips from them - pretty good.

I'm not really a fish and chips person to be honest, although I do enjoy them now and again, I'm not that passionate about them so wouldn't know good chips from bad!  ::)

As far as I understand it, dripping comes from beef and lard from rendered pork fat, yes?

I've just recently bought some lard strangely enough, for some Majorca Ensamaida's I'm going to be making, they're just divine!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 04:51 PM »
There was a small chain called Superfish who re-introduced dripping,

They have always cooked in dripping to my knowledge, i'll ask next time he's on the phone. ;) Their ranges are pretty impressive too, all digital controlled, all to cook the old way. Best fish n chips around. :)

What i meant was, when everyone else was changing to oil, this chain of shops had popped up keeping the tradition of cooking with beef dripping.

As far as I understand it, dripping comes from beef and lard from rendered pork fat, yes?

I've just recently bought some lard strangely enough, for some Majorca Ensamaida's I'm going to be making, they're just divine!

I was never a fan of bread n (beef) dripping when i was a kid, but after a few visits to Poland, i fell in love with Smalec.  :P
Pork lard with bits.  8)
You can find it on the supermarket shelves over here these days in the Polish section.  ;)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Yep, I've got one near me and I've had fish and chips from them - pretty good.

I know they should all be the same but the one at Ashtead is probably the best one.

What i meant was, when everyone else was changing to oil, this chain of shops had popped up keeping the tradition of cooking with beef dripping.

Sorry that went over my head. 8)

As for lard, I can't stand the stuff. it's like marmite.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 05:16 PM »

As for lard, I can't stand the stuff. it's like marmite.

Try some smalec Malc. Full of flavour, unlike the refined blocks we get in the uk.  ;)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 06:20 PM »

They look similar to Tahini swirls i used to buy in the Turkish supermarket, Whetstone. Delicious!!  :P
Cant find a decent pic though. The ones i used to buy were a lot taller than the flat looking cakes offered on google images.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Try some smalec Malc. Full of flavour, unlike the refined blocks we get in the uk.  ;)

I've just Googled it, are you kidding? :o It looks awful! :-X

Of course i'm sure it's not as bad as it looks but just the shear thought is turning my stomach. I know ASDA does it, or at least I think they do, if it's cheap enough, i'll entertain a mouthful, just to say i've tried it.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09 PM »

I've just Googled it, are you kidding? :o It looks awful! :-X

Try here, Malc.  Also well worth trying Polish "Pierrogi Ruskie" : little dim sum style dumplings stuffed with smalec : puts hairs on your chest !

** Phil.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 07:19 PM »
They look similar to Tahini swirls i used to buy in the Turkish supermarket, Whetstone. Delicious!!  :P

Ensamaida's are quite similar to danish pastries dusted with icing sugar. I had some the last time I was in Spain and I liked them so much I decided to find a recipe to make some over here. The lard stains the paper bags they put them in, bit like samosas and onion bhaji's do!

Delicious with a morning cuppucino :)

©2024 Curry Recipes