Author Topic: Supper after the pub  (Read 9794 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Supper after the pub
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Not wishing to go too far off topic but I ended up in The Balaka last night. Now the Balaka is an institution in Dundee, having been there since the 1970s. We were sitting there reflecting as to how there's still a lot of the same staff and they looked old back then!
Why does that thought seem to be familiar??;D.  Think it's a sign of getting old older SL :(
Anyway - NIS is not really a local dish but due to thinking about Dajorca's thread I ordered a Punjabi Masala and in my mind compared it with the NIS. The NIS is truly a much richer and more complex dish. The Punjabi Masala is much more like a pimped up Bhuna. So this afternoon I am going to have another go at the PM and see if I can come close to what I tasted last night.
Look forward to trying this dish once you're happy with it Steve.  I think the NIS is also a bhuna based dish with a few added extras to give it its distinctive flavour.

The NIS I have to say (I know Curryhell has heard this before!) is a true classic and if you haven't tried CH's recipe then give it a go.

I think you will enjoy this different version equally as much SL.  I will try to post the recipe in the next day or so once my proof reader has finished with it ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Look very good CH, I must confess though, I had never heard of NIS before now. I shall be looking to see if I can find it locally.

Cheers,

Malc.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Look very good CH, I must confess though, I had never heard of NIS before now. I shall be looking to see if I can find it locally.

Cheers,

Malc.
May be a regional thing Axe.  I thought it was unique to my local BIR but as my local TA does it as well it obviously features on some other BIR and TA menus as well.  Definitely worth the effort though, even just for a change :D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Before reading this thread, I'd never heard of "NIS" and I still have virtually no idea. What is it please? An abbreviation or what?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 04:44 PM »
Before reading this thread, I'd never heard of "NIS" and I still have virtually no idea. What is it please? An abbreviation or what?

See here George.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8213.0

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Curryhell,that looks the business!!!!  If I didn't know better I would say that is a NIS you have ordered from the Elachi!!  I take it that is the one you are trying to emulate.Although I love the one from the Spices Restaurant there is something unique about the Elachi one,very addictive indeed.Haven't had one for a while but you've got my tastebuds going for sure!! Any chance you can share the recipe?? I'm thinking of doing another curryfeast this weekend and this is one dish I would like to put on the menu.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 05:37 PM »

See here George.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8213.0

Many thanks. Your glossary is/was a very good idea. Are the three words "Noth Indian Special" often found on restaurant menus, then?

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Curryhell,that looks the business!!!!  If I didn't know better I would say that is a NIS you have ordered from the Elachi!!  I take it that is the one you are trying to emulate.Although I love the one from the Spices Restaurant there is something unique about the Elachi one,very addictive indeed.Haven't had one for a while but you've got my tastebuds going for sure!! Any chance you can share the recipe?? I'm thinking of doing another curryfeast this weekend and this is one dish I would like to put on the menu.

Totally agree jb on how tasty and addictive the Elaichi version is.  And the portion size is excellent.  One TA does me two day. I only have to supplement the poppadums ;D  The Elaichi one has more pronounced tandoori flavours than Spices and the proponderance of onions is so obvious (but not spicey onions though :o).  I like them both :P  I have some more work to do on Spices recipe from your comments when you did your last curry fest.  I need to do a side by side comparison.  Trouble is Spice's can vary quite a bit visit to visit ???  PM'd you the pre-proofed version.  Will be adding a few side by side tasting notes for this version very shortly ;D
Not sure how widespread this dish is.  I know you've had this in a restaurant in Commercial Road in the east end but have you seen it anywhere else?

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Have just done a side by side comparison with my deliberate left overs from last night versus those from my local TA on Friday.  In looks they are identical I believe.  Check the pics below.  I am struggling to detect any difference in the smell either in spite of getting right up close to it ;D. The Elaichi maybe has a slightly stronger tandoori spice smell.  Tastewise the elaichi version has a hint of chilli earthiness to it (which I would expect as I asked for it phall strength) and has a slightly stronger garlic background flavour.  The version I cooked was only vindaloo with 3 tsps of chilli powder and I don
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:49 PM by curryhell »

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Looks spot on to me,bloomin' marvelous in fact.This will be on my menu this weekend.I've actually ordered a catering version of Patak's Tandoori paste,I'm intrigued as to whether there is any difference to this and the small jars you can buy in the supermarket,maybe there is and this is the extra tandoori smell you can detect?? I'll let everyone know how I get on.

©2024 Curry Recipes