Author Topic: Supper after the pub  (Read 9795 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Supper after the pub
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Looks spot on to me,bloomin' marvelous in fact.This will be on my menu this weekend.I've actually ordered a catering version of Patak's Tandoori paste,I'm intrigued as to whether there is any difference to this and the small jars you can buy in the supermarket,maybe there is and this is the extra tandoori smell you can detect?? I'll let everyone know how I get on.

I must admit jb that i was gobsmacked when i tucked into it last night.  I thought it was straight from the Elaichi.  Even the residue on the empty plate this morning looked the same :o.  Sad, are'nt I??  I hope that the commercial size tubs of paste are no different as all three won't all fit in the fridge :(.  Look forward to your report on the dish :D.  Maybe they just added a chef's spoon of masala sauce rather than what i added  ;)  I'll post the recipe tomorrow :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:57 PM by curryhell »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Before reading this thread, I'd never heard of "NIS" and I still have virtually no idea. What is it please? An abbreviation or what?

See here George.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8213.0

Many thanks. Your glossary is/was a very good idea. Are the three words "Noth Indian Special" often found on restaurant menus, then?

I've no idea George, not around this way as far as i know. I added it because it was being used in the forum quite regularly.

KFC     Kerala Fish Curry

I think the Colonel will be sending some of his good ol' boys round to discus this ... !

Couldn't help slipping that one in Phil   ;D

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 06:19 AM »
Looks spot on to me,bloomin' marvelous in fact.This will be on my menu this weekend.I've actually ordered a catering version of Patak's Tandoori paste,I'm intrigued as to whether there is any difference to this and the small jars you can buy in the supermarket,maybe there is and this is the extra tandoori smell you can detect?? I'll let everyone know how I get on.

I must admit jb that i was gobsmacked when i tucked into it last night.  I thought it was straight from the Elaichi.  Even the residue on the empty plate this morning looked the same :o.  Sad, are'nt I??  I hope that the commercial size tubs of paste are no different as all three won't all fit in the fridge :(.  Look forward to your report on the dish :D.  Maybe they just added a chef's spoon of masala sauce rather than what i added  ;)  I'll post the recipe tomorrow :D

No mate not sad at all that's something I'd probobly do.I'm always sitting there slowly picking through curries or closely examining them...All I get from the Wife is "Just eat it can't you!!"  Incidently she's got so fed up with our fridge being full up with curries,gravy etc I've now actually gone and brought another fridge,so that's where all my stuff is heading now. I'm off to get some tamarind sauce today,I have a question re the massala sauce.Just wondered why you don't use the Zaal version instead of the one you posted??? I know CT's version is a lot easier but I've always assumed these uncooked ones may be a bit tart???  Could be totally wrong though I'll give it a go.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22 AM »
No mate not sad at all that's something I'd probobly do.I'm always sitting there slowly picking through curries or closely examining them...All I get from the Wife is "Just eat it can't you!!"  Incidently she's got so fed up with our fridge being full up with curries,gravy etc I've now actually gone and brought another fridge,so that's where all my stuff is heading now. I'm off to get some tamarind sauce today,I have a question re the massala sauce.Just wondered why you don't use the Zaal version instead of the one you posted??? I know CT's version is a lot easier but I've always assumed these uncooked ones may be a bit tart???  Could be totally wrong though I'll give it a go.
So it isn't just me that does it then ;D ;D.  I think one or two other curry addicts have a curry fridge as well.  It's ok for me because i have the fridge all to myself :D  I do intend to make up Az's masala sauce so i can try the roshni and have instant chicken tikka masala in the fridge for whenever i need to make it.  But CTM isn't my cup of tea so don't make it that often.  Az's sauce is quite sweet given the sugar, almond powder and coconut powder.  I don't detect any of those flavours in the Elaichi NIS.  It's much more of a savoury taste so that's why i opted for a traditional masala sauce.  You're quite right about it being tart if you try it on its own but then again you only add it in small quantities to a dish.  That's the reason i didn't rush straight in with a chef's spoon of the stuff when i cooked the dish on Saturday :D Very pleased with the results and intend adding a bit to my next jalfrezi ::)  Good luck with the dish.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 09:29 AM »
I've no idea George, not around this way as far as i know. I added it because it was being used in the forum quite regularly.

I just searched for "North Indian Special" on google and it doesn't bring up much in terms of inclusions on restaurant menus. Here's one, but it's describing a category of dishes:

http://monsoonindiancuisine.co.uk/menu.php?cid=10&#skiptolist

I suggest it's anti-social and bad news to be using so many acronyms. I use a few like BIR and member names like CA, but if I'm confused by "NIS", I don't think it bodes well for occasional visitors, newbies and lots of others. I fear it could lead them to think the forum is a bit of a closed shop and not such a friendly place. I suggest we reduce the use of acronyms.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08 PM »

I suggest it's anti-social and bad news to be using so many acronyms. I use a few like BIR and member names like CA, but if I'm confused by "NIS", I don't think it bodes well for occasional visitors, newbies and lots of others. I fear it could lead them to think the forum is a bit of a closed shop and not such a friendly place. I suggest we reduce the use of acronyms.

This was one of the reasons why i started the list. There were a few which i didn't have a clue! I searched google and this forum and found nothing. Maybe common sense to some but was beyond me.  :o Was never any good at crosswords  ;)
I spent a couple of hours scouring the forum and gathering all the acronyms i could find to put them into one list for all members, present and new.
I blame the americans. Team GB, tut tut tut  ::)

Frank.  ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42 PM »
I spent a couple of hours scouring the forum and gathering all the acronyms i could find to put them into one list for all members, present and new.

It would be good if there was an obvious link - ever present - to bring up your very useful list.

©2024 Curry Recipes