Author Topic: Elaichi North Indian Special  (Read 43155 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Elaichi North Indian Special
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Hi jamieb that's the same one i use and never had any problems with it.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Hi Jamie.  I used tamarind concentrate in original version of the North Indian Special simply because i couldn't get hold of anything else other than the compressed block.  This was in a small plastic container.  I would say the concentrate will work ok but not 100% sure on the degree of impact it will have on the overall flavour but i suspect it will only be marginal.  I've never seen Tamarina in Tesco or Morrisons and i rarely venture to Asda.  I am more than happy with the East End Tamarind sauce i got though ;D  Jb, where did you get your Tamarina from?

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:38 AM »
Hi CH

dont have the specified tamarind sauce just a concentrate, is that suitable substitute and how much concentrate to use? cheers
I used a concentrate in my other recipe AP. It definitely added a little sour note.   I would say use a 1/4 of a tsp.

many thanks CH :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17 AM »
Hi Jamie.  I used tamarind concentrate in original version of the North Indian Special simply because i couldn't get hold of anything else other than the compressed block.  This was in a small plastic container.  I would say the concentrate will work ok but not 100% sure on the degree of impact it will have on the overall flavour but i suspect it will only be marginal.  I've never seen Tamarina in Tesco or Morrisons and i rarely venture to Asda.  I am more than happy with the East End Tamarind sauce i got though ;D  Jb, where did you get your Tamarina from?

I got mine in the Asian shop next to Spices.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:22 AM »

I got mine in the Asian shop next to Spices.
Cheers jb. I'll pick a botle up in the week.  I somehow think i'm gonna be getting through quite a bit the stuff ;D

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 06:51 AM »
I Would say Tamarind and Tamarina would give you 2 differerent tastes
Tamarind as we know is a souring agent
Tamarina is a brand which is sweetend with a few spices and can be used as a dipping sauce

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 07:18 AM »
Hi

Cheers all i can get tamarina from my asian supermarket just dont no if ill get chance to go before weekend depends where im working i used this concentrate in the original NIS and it came out good was just wandering about the amount to add wheather tamarina was a more diluted version wheather a tbsp of concentrate would be to much.

jamie

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Hi

Cheers all i can get tamarina from my asian supermarket just dont no if ill get chance to go before weekend depends where im working i used this concentrate in the original NIS and it came out good was just wandering about the amount to add wheather tamarina was a more diluted version wheather a tbsp of concentrate would be to much.

jamie
I certainly would add no more than 1/2 TSP.  I scaled this back when i revised the orignal version to 1/4 TSP.  If you add 1 TBS i think you'll the effect will be very over-powering Jamie. If you can source the sauce  ;D i would recommend that to add a sweet and sour note, achieved by adding mango chutney in the original recipe.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Hi CH

I thought it would need reducing i think i am going to be able to get to the shop this afternoon am pretty sure ive seen tamarina in  there so shall pick some up hopefully.

Jamie

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Hi CH

Is this the right 1 they had both this and the eastend imli went for this 1 as it has 15% tamarind as apposed to 9% in the eastend version

jamie

©2024 Curry Recipes