Author Topic: Chewy's Chicken Tikka 2012  (Read 59454 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Chewy's Chicken Tikka 2012
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:27 AM »
Chewy's Chicken Tikka 2012

In this kitchen my kit is a Combi/Microwave. (Tandoor Envy) ::)

Bought two large Chicken breasts at the halal butchers.
Each breast I cut into three and popped them into a freezer bag.

This recipe involves a double marinade

Marinade No.1
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
1 tbsp Lemon Dressing
1tsp White Vinegar
Add 1st Marinade to the bag, squish and leave for a hour.

Marinade No.2
4 tbsp Thick Plain Yogurt (whipped)
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
2 tbsp Mustard Oil
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
0.5 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Pataks Madras Kebab Paste (catering size only)
1 tsp Pataks Tandoori Paste
0.5 tsp Pataks Kashmiri Masala Paste
0.5 tsp Colemans Garden Mint
1 tsp Runny Honey or Brown Sugar. (optional)
Red/Orange food colour to suit.
- Mix It all very well.
Add 2nd Marinade to the bag and leave for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.

Preheat the oven, set to Convection 250.
I skewer the Chicken, put it on the rack in the hot oven for 12-15 minutes.
Pull out of the oven and let the chicken stand for 5 minutes.
Baste with butter or ghee, flip it and cook for a further for 12-15 minutes.
Pull out of the oven and baste again.
Set the oven to Grill
Grill for 5-6 minutes. Pull out of the oven, flip over and baste again, Grill for a final 5-6 minutes.
I like it lightly charred, so I keep stopping and basting, which keeps it moist.
That's it, Restaurant style Tikka, cooked in a Combi/Microwave.
As we know great as a starter, with grilled Onion, Lemon and Salad, or added to your favourite curry.

Tip: Mix some Chat Masala with melted Butter/Ghee and brush on the Tikka, the aroma in the house is the dogs  :P :P
Some pics below  ;)

cheers Chewy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:56 AM by chewytikka »

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chewy's Chicken Tikka 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:36 AM »
Looks great Chewy.  :) Shame you can't get the kebab paste in smaller sizes - how much do the catering sizes cost and last?

Also, in your Rezala video your tikka seems slightly different. Do you cook the breasts whole sometimes?

Have you tried other tikka recipes on here (e.g. Blades, that get very good reviews)? Interested to know how yours compares to others.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Hi Ramirez Tesco are doing the 2.4kg tubs for 6.99 GBP at the moment valid until 28/8/2012.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Hi Rameriz
I keep banging on about this particular paste, but it is important for BIR flavour, costs around a tenner,
last you ages, depending how much you cook. That's the one UF. ;)

The Rezala tikka is just the same, just the way its cut.

Tandoori and Tikka flavours have been my obsession for ages,
I have loads of tried/tested recipe combinations and methods, this is a very good one.

BladesBetterThan...    is a beginners recipe and lots of beginners love it because its mild and simple.

cheers Chewy

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Chewy - what would you say is the closest reasonable facsimile for the Patak's madras kebab paste? Its not one of the standard Patak's products here in Canada, and a shipper from the UK wanted 200 pounds to ship it! SpicesofIndia.co.uk don't seem to stock it either.

What would you suggest?

Thx,
Josh

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:30 AM »
Chewy - what would you say is the closest reasonable facsimile for the Patak's madras kebab paste? Its not one of the standard Patak's products here in Canada, and a shipper from the UK wanted 200 pounds to ship it! SpicesofIndia.co.uk don't seem to stock it either.  What would you suggest?
If it weren't for first-hand experience of Canadian customs, I would offer to post some to you at cost, but I fear it would never make it beyond the frontier.  If you can do your homework and confirm that it meets the myriad rules and regulations that govern the import of foodstuffs into Canada, I can in return get you an estimate of the costs involved.  Where exactly are you in Canada ?  I know of one outlet in Waterloo that would be very likely to carry it, but Canada is a /big/ country and the chances of your being within driving distance of Waterloo are vanishingly small ...

** Phil.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:21 AM »
Hi Phil,

If it weren't for first-hand experience of Canadian customs, I would offer to post some to you at cost, but I fear it would never make it beyond the frontier.  If you can do your homework and confirm that it meets the myriad rules and regulations that govern the import of foodstuffs into Canada, I can in return get you an estimate of the costs involved.

Actually I've always found them pretty lax on imports. cr0 member Michael.T sent me a large unlabelled margarine container of Rajah curry powder last year. Arrived no problem, even tho it looked like it could have been black tar heroin... Pungent odour too lol!

Where exactly are you in Canada ?  I know of one outlet in Waterloo that would be very likely to carry it, but Canada is a /big/ country and the chances of your being within driving distance of Waterloo are vanishingly small ...

Actually I'm in Toronto, so Kitchener is about an hour away. What's the place you are thinking of? We have plenty of Indian cash and carry's here in Toronto, but Madras Kebab doesn't seem to be one of the products Patak's are distributing into Canada.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

-- Josh

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Actually I've always found them pretty lax on imports. cr0 member Michael.T sent me a large unlabelled margarine container of Rajah curry powder last year. Arrived no problem, even tho it looked like it could have been black tar heroin... Pungent odour too lol!
Ah, how things have changed ...  As a great fan of home-made steak-and-kidney pudding, and totally unable to buy Atora shredded suet in Waterloo, I made the mistake of trying to bring some with me on my next trip.  Never again !  Fortunately I then discovered vegetarian shredded suet, and although they were not happy they were forced to let it in.

Actually I'm in Toronto, so Kitchener is about an hour away. What's the place you are thinking of? We have plenty of Indian cash and carry's here in Toronto, but Madras Kebab doesn't seem to be one of the products Patak's are distributing into Canada.
The one I was thinking of was on the east side of King St North, but I can't give you the exact location as it is now too long ago to be sure, but if you are in Toronto you have access to a far wider range of exotic goods than I had in Waterloo, so I am certain that a trip to Waterloo would be a complete waste of your time.  I also see that Pataks.Ca don't list it -- a fair indication it never makes it into Canada at all.

Let me know if you'd like me to research costs for purchase and postage to Toronto (estimate : between

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Chewy - what would you say is the closest reasonable facsimile for the Patak's madras kebab paste? Its not one of the standard Patak's products here in Canada, and a shipper from the UK wanted 200 pounds to ship it! SpicesofIndia.co.uk don't seem to stock it either.

What would you suggest?

Thx,
Josh

Hi Josh
As a substitute I've used Pataks Original Tikka paste / circa 1980's
http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/tikka-paste.aspx
You might be able to pick this up.

Pataks Canada
http://www.pataks.ca/products/paste-tikka.asp

and this looks like a new set up but might be good
http://www.knorrpataks.co.uk/productsinfo.php?id=15

http://www.abworldfoods.com/

hope this helps

The catering paste is different and is standard in the Restaurants I know.
If I can catch a chef making up the Tikka Chicken I'll video it.
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes