Author Topic: Chewy's Chicken Tikka 2012  (Read 59467 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chewy's Chicken Tikka 2012
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Ahhh, you're undoubtedly right Phil.  It's probably just me.  I'm sure most members are extremely interested in your blow-by-blow account of delivering the stuff to Josh.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50 PM »
Phil - I placed an order from BritishStuffOnline. Seems they will ship the 2.4kg for roughly the cost of what it would have cost you to send a small portion (and without the hassle!)

Thanks again for finding this. I hope that link will help others like Aussie Mick get some of the tougher ingredients to source overseas.

Once it arrives I will try Chewy's recipe and post back!

Cheers,
Josh

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Thanks Phil.

Just checked it out, and at 36 quid postage for a 2.2kg jar, I think I'll stick to local stuff. 8)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Hi Josh
(Started this post first thing this morning and got sidetracked.)

Pataks Canadian operation looks well established and their website, I think is better than the UK one, could be worth an email about Madras Kebab Paste.
I'm out shopping today and I'll try and pick up a small jar of the Tikka paste and do a comparison with the catering Madras Kebab Paste.

Went shopping, small jar of Tikka paste is different, and seems to have Tandoori mixed in with it, the MKP on the other
hand has a whiff of caramel and mustard oil and quite a layer of oil in the Jar and is quite runny compared to others.

Here's phone pics of the catering shelves at my local store.

Left to Right - Madras Kebab Paste - Tandoori - Kashmiri Masala - Tikka - Balti and then Pickles.
The Madras Kebab Paste is the only one you still can't get in small jars.

These pastes and pickles arrived here not long after the first Tandoor was installed.
I'm not sure which restaurant it was, but it was pre 1980. I'm going to ask about it tonight to confirm this,
I'll wait till everybody has had something to eat first as their fasting and a bit cranky.

cheers Chewy

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I'll wait till everybody has had something to eat first as their fasting and a bit cranky.
Poor s@ds : I really don't think I could cope with Ramadan.  It was for exactly that reason that I didn't fly out to join my wife for our wedding anniversary this year : she is working in Abu Dhabi, and I didn't think I could handle doing without food and drink for 14+ hours at temperatures exceeding 35oC.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:31 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 03:02 AM »
Chewy - appreciate your detective work. I checked out Patak's Canadian operation in more detail, and it seems that they stock the complete "domestic" line. No mention of the catering size products. Since the Madras Kebab looks to be catering size only, that might explain why I couldn't find it. Perhaps not enough of a Restaurant trade in Canada to justify importing the larger sizes... and possibly a small reason why Canadian Indian bears little resemblance to BIR.

In any case, I may soon have the only container of Madras Kebab paste in Canada!

Looking forward to trying your tikka.

-- Josh

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Chewy,

The Madras Kebab paste arrived today.

Before I make this, do you recommend marinating whole breasts, or individual tikka pieces? I pretty much always did the latter, but found that some tikka recipes (Dipuraja's comes to mind) are so strong tasting, that they really need to be marinated at the breast level and cut after cooking.

What do you recommend for yours?

Thx,
Josh

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Do you realise how special and unique you are Josh??  You're probably the only person in the whole of Canada to have this very special pot in your kitchen ;D ;D ;)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Haha CH... Now I need to figure out how I'm going to use 2.4kg of kebab paste   :o

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 10:19 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes