Author Topic: Has anyone come across these before?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Has anyone come across these before?
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:20 PM »
HI All

I  was having a walk around my Asian supermarket today wasn't even planning to but anything but these caught my eye they did them in plain, garlic and coriander and spicy must admit it was the  packaging more than anything that caught my eye but they look and felt different to the normal packaged ones you get so i thought I'd try them and as packaged naans go they are quite good you get 3 propper sized naans for ?1.60 the other thing was they have a short use by date which means they are not standing on the shelf for months, anyway has anyone else tried them?

Jamie

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone come across these before?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:27 PM »
How did they compare to a BIR Naan, i've had some good supermarket naans but none seem to have that sweet taste that a BIR naan has.

Will be looking out for them though, they don't look too bad.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Hi Axe

They are not going to have the airy lightness of a BIR naan due to them not  being fresh but they are not doughy or stodgy like alot of supermarket ones and the flavour is good when i put them under the grill the  side with the garlic and coriander on had like an oily finish as if they had been brushed like a fresh BIR naan and for ?1.60 for 3 if you have not got the time to knock up your they would not be a bad substitute but thats just my opinion.

Jamie

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Never mind the bloody naan Jamie, just let me at that curry  :P :P  That looks lovely, possibly a madras but has a very fine red colour???

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Hi CH

That is your new NIS i think i put to much colouring in the red masala suace  :o

Jamie

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Thanks Jamie, i'll certainly be looking out for them.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 12:57 AM »
No wonder i was drawn to it mate. Colouring is spot on to what my local TA deliver mate, so don't change a thing.  How did you enjoy the curry?

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Hi CH

The flavour  was great but i think i sliced the garlic to thick i'm not a fan of big pieces of garlic any way so i think ill be adding it finely chopped next which will be tomorrow ;D

Jamie

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 09:55 PM »
I have been using these naan for a few years now.  I get them from the local market.  Far easier than making your own & a lot better than any other shop bought ones.  As Jamie says they are not as airy as a BIR one but I have had worse ones from a few takeaways...

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Hi Willy

Have you tried the spicy ones and if so are they any good i will be picking a pack of each up have you  frozen them and then used them and  does that change the texture i'm thinking of sticking a couple of pack in the freezer for when i have not got time to make my own.

Jamie

©2024 Curry Recipes