Author Topic: Update and thanks...  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Harry Bosch

• Chef
    • View Profile
Update and thanks...
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:03 PM »
... I've made my first base sauce (I went with Chewy's) and tonight I'm using it tonight for the first time. I might be stretching myself (there's no might about it!) but I'm going to try and do three different curries for tonight - Prawn Korma for the kids - Prawn Jalfrezi for my wife and Chicken Madras for me. Wish me luck.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Update and thanks...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:34 PM »
... I've made my first base sauce (I went with Chewy's) and tonight I'm using it tonight for the first time. I might be stretching myself (there's no might about it!) but I'm going to try and do three different curries for tonight - Prawn Korma for the kids - Prawn Jalfrezi for my wife and Chicken Madras for me. Wish me luck.
I do, I do.  But take it steady : cook one at a time (chicken first, so that the prawns don't toughen and spoil), then keep each warm but not to the point of cooking further until all three are ready.  And your rice will keep fresh and ready for some time in a casserole with lid, even without any external source of heat; the thermal inertia of sufficient rice for three is quite considerable !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:57 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Harry Bosch

• Chef
    • View Profile
Yeah...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:19 PM »
... thanks Phil! Good tips - which I will be following closely.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Yes good luck :-)
i hope all goes well.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Best of luck.  Let us know how it all goes :)

Offline Harry Bosch

• Chef
    • View Profile
Pleased...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 04:22 PM »
... and the kids loved the Korma (and that's praise indeed from them buggers!) and the Jalfrezi was decent - less pleased with the Madras - something definitely missing on the flavour front (piece of lemon? amongst other things), although the heat was good. As it was my first go, I'm very happy - although I didn't realise how quickly this would turn from a hobby into an obsession. I definitely thought the coriander stalks added loads of flavour to the base sauce. Saw some bloke on Youtube putting some fennel in - might try it.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Glad to hear all went well HB on your first attempt.   Keep at and things will just get better and better.  Re.  the madras, the simplest of curries when it comes to ingredients but one of the hardest to get spot on.  This one is very much down to technique.  Have a look at Chewytikkas madras curry or madras sauce videos.  That'll help you on the way  ;)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pleased...
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57 AM »
... and the kids loved the Korma (and that's praise indeed from them buggers!) and the Jalfrezi was decent - less pleased with the Madras - something definitely missing on the flavour front (piece of lemon? amongst other things), although the heat was good. As it was my first go, I'm very happy - although I didn't realise how quickly this would turn from a hobby into an obsession. I definitely thought the coriander stalks added loads of flavour to the base sauce. Saw some bloke on Youtube putting some fennel in - might try it.

Great stuff, Harry. You'll soon be knocking them out like a pro!

I'd urge a little caution when it comes to adding fennel to a base, though. I'm always happy to be proved wrong, but no BIR chef I've spoken with has ever used fennel in their base. However, if they're looking for a slight hint of aniseed flavour (just a background note) then they will use some star anise, either in an akhni stock with some other whole spices (cardamom, Asian Bay, cassia bark, etc) which is then added to the base, or in the stock used to pre-cook the meats (which is why you'll occasionally come across the odd piece of star anise or other whole spice in your curry).

But it's all about practice and trying things out, so by all means give it a go and see what you reckon!

Offline Harry Bosch

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Thanks Mr Dhali (do you make surreally good curries? - or should I get my coat?)

I'm taking your advice - and I'm not going to put fennel in the base.

I made another Chicken Madras last night and was much happier with the result - I followed Chewy's recipe (including the splash of Worcester Sauce). However, I took the very naughty step of using a heaped teaspoon of powdered vegetable stock, but in my defence it was because I'd run out of salt (shameful culinary error) and this stock I've got is very salty. I'm not 100% sure why the curry was better than the previous one, but I think the way I cooked it was relevant. I think for newbies like me it's scary to have the heat on so high (frightened of burning the garlic) but this time I had it on full and kept it that way for the whole process.

Cheers mate

Harry

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35 AM »
I'm not 100% sure why the curry was better than the previous one, but I think the way I cooked it was relevant.
There is no doubt in my mind that we subconsciously learn on on the job.  I can't tell you how long it took me to master pulao rice, but it must have been over forty years -- yet once you have the knack, it's just like riding a bicycle : you never forget.  Cooking a good curry comes from something inside you : you /know/ when the spices are cooked, how fast to add the base and so on, but if you were asked to rationalise it to someone else, you would find it very difficult. So rejoice in the fact that you are already making good progress on the osmosis curve : in a few weeks, you will find it difficult to remember how hard curries once were.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes