Author Topic: Hi from Birmingham  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Hi from Birmingham
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Hi all

What a great forum!  I've been making my own currys etc for about a year now.  Had to start.  Loads of good takeaways and restaurants here in Birmingham apparently (I'm from Manchester originally), but none seem to be near me and quality is an issue.  You know it's getting bad when your takeaway arrives and the poppadoms and dips are routinely deposited in the bin, soon followed by the starters.  Where is the mint in my mint sauce?  It's green but there's no mint in it.  Where are my red onions?  Why is my shami kebab a flattened shish?  Why is there a tablespoon of MSG in my vegetable side dish? Why am I regretting eating this tasteless curry?  Maybe it's old age and my taste buds have dissappeared?

Anyway, initially followed a couple of youtubes for making a base gravy (tons of garlic) and a curry.  Pretty good. Then got Kris Dillon's books (still use many of the recipes) and later Mick Crawford's (brilliant!).  I have also booked myself a place on one of Julian's curry classes in October.  Looking forward to it.  I've also lost 2 stones in weight since starting making my own! A bonus here in Brum though is the wonderfull shops on the Stratford Road.  I love walking around them and searching out ingredients, particularly the smaller ones, where the owners are happy to have a chat and give advice.

Very pleased to meet you all on here and many thanks for all your advice to the novices like myself.  I'll chip in when I can.  Cheers, Rob.  :) 

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Well you've come to the right place to develop your curry making skills  ;D We all getonthegarabi quite regularly here ;) . Welcome Rob and looking forward to hearing of your exploits 8)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rob

Watch your waistline, as I'm taking up alot more room since I started posting on cR0, probably about stone extra in fact.
On your travels around Stratford road, can you keep an eye out for the Green Naga I'm looking for, from back in the day.
Just be nice to know if it still exists.

cheers Chewy

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Thanks both.  I'll make some enquiries about the naga.  There's one small shop I know where the owner seems to be the font of all thinks spice.  He's quite a character.  A young lady came in there on my last visit with a list of ingredients and explained that her grandmother wanted to make something.  He looked at the list carefully and said (wth a wry smile), "Either you've written this down wrong, or your grandmother doesn't know what she's talking about".  He also wouldn't sell me any neat asaphotidia powder, as it would "rot your gums and your teeth will fall out!".  He'll probably know about the naga.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:39 PM by getonthegarabi »

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Welcome Rob,

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun browsing and trying the recipes on here ... I think you're very lucky to have supplies so readily to hand , I live in Slovakia and it's a bit of a challenge sometimes !!    :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rob

Watch your waistline, as I'm taking up alot more room since I started posting on cR0, probably about stone extra in fact.
On your travels around Stratford road, can you keep an eye out for the Green Naga I'm looking for, from back in the day.
Just be nice to know if it still exists.

cheers Chewy

Just found in my cupboard a bottle of "The Kitchen Magic Original Sauce - Naga Pepper Sauce.  It's green, more tangy than hot and in a taller bottle.  Bought it a couple of weeks ago (?1.29).  Not 100 % but think I may have got it from the Spicelands shop in Perry Barr.  I'll check and see if there any others from the same company.  Cheers, Rob.

Offline Harry Bosch

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Hello there,

I'm new myself, having only been a member for a couple of weeks - but my curry hobby is already turning into an obsession. This is a fantastic place.

Harry

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:02 PM by Harry Bosch »

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Hi Rob what part of Brum are you from?

Only a few minutes on Metro/Train to Brum for me.

Thought this might be useful to you
http://www.davidsemporium.co.uk/baltitriangle.html

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Hi Rob what part of Brum are you from?

Only a few minutes on Metro/Train to Brum for me.

Thought this might be useful to you
http://www.davidsemporium.co.uk/baltitriangle.html

Hi Frank.  I'm up the Hagley Road past Quinton.  Thanks for the link.  I have been to a couple of places in the Balti Triangle over the years, although the convenience of TA has generally been for me.  Do you have any recommendations for the belt?  The best curry I've had in Birmingham was from a place I think was called "Queens", near to the Law Courts and Aston University.  It's not there any more but the balti there was amazing.  Served in a large black karahi dish they were thick paste-like dishes (you could almost stand a fork up in them!).  Garnished with fresh chopped green chilies.  Had some curry mad friends from Manchester with me and all agreed it was absolutely top-drawer.  Never had anything like it before or since. I would love to reproduce that balti at home. On the next evening we went over to Ladypool Road and it was OK but nothing special compared to "Queens" (or Rusholme).  Perhaps we were unlucky. There are so many to choose from.

Have heard there are also some good places in Blackhealth and must get over there.  Seen one called "Balti Towers" which must be worth a go!  Near to me also are Akbars and The Rose Murree.  The latter sometimes do a Bollywood night which the good lady likes the idea of so will go there at some point.  Loving my home BIR though! I can also make shami kebabs how I like them, similar to Abduls.  Not quite there yet but not far off.  I'm convinced there's a little bit of Cajun seasoning in the recipe.  Definately some thyme.  Lovely :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:31 PM »
The best curry I've had in Birmingham was from a place I think was called "Queens", near to the Law Courts and Aston University. 

I used to visit Aston once or twice a year, and we were always taken out to dinner to "The Last Days of the Raj".  Is that still there, do you know ?

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes