Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 187232 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Regarding the methi leaves, not sure what you mean about a nest - can you post a pic? Fenugreek powder is not an alternative for methi leaves, the tastes are quite different. Stick with using methi leaves as they are a fundamental basic ingredient for BIR flavours.

I agree that one cannot substitute one for the other, but I am less convinced that methi leaves are BIR whilst ground methi is not.  The aroma of ground methi is /very/ BIR-like, and I use it as a matter of course in my Madrases and so on.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2013, 02:00 PM »
I am less convinced that methi leaves are BIR whilst ground methi is not.  The aroma of ground methi is /very/ BIR-like, and I use it as a matter of course in my Madrases and so on.

Surely you have that back to front Phil?

Methi leaf (Kasoori Methi) is very much a component of many BIR dishes. Ground methi seed is undoubtedly a component (of curry powder if not added on its own) but in what way is its aroma BIR like? I just went and had a good sniff of my admittedly unfresh, ground methi seed and I can not relate its aroma to anything BIR like - or do you mean when it's cooking perhaps?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Gagomes,

Just rub the 'nest like' leaves between your palms to grind it to a powder like substance. Don't worry too much about getting it to a fine powder.

There is an alternative cooking method that doesn't require skewers and provides a nice addition which cooks in the oven as opposed under the grill. Preheat your oven to it's hottest setting, slice an onion and separate the rings, place on a baking tray and place the chicken on the onion. Pop it in the oven for about 15-20 mins or until cooked. Done right you should end up with succulent chicken with singed edges and tobacco onions to accompany it.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Axe,

Gagomes,

Just rub the 'nest like' leaves between your palms to grind it to a powder like substance. Don't worry too much about getting it to a fine powder.

There is an alternative cooking method that doesn't require skewers and provides a nice addition which cooks in the oven as opposed under the grill. Preheat your oven to it's hottest setting, slice an onion and separate the rings, place on a baking tray and place the chicken on the onion. Pop it in the oven for about 15-20 mins or until cooked. Done right you should end up with succulent chicken with singed edges and tobacco onions to accompany it.

That is some suggestion right there! I will follow your advice - thanks a lot :)

As for the "methi nest" as I put it for lack of better english to describe it (which I think Axe may have understood correctly) I was referring to semi-tangled bunch of dried methi leaves. This is the one I bought:

Funnily, while I don't seem to exaggerate on this spice (generally add less than a level teaspoon, not even very packed as there is some room in between the interleaved leafs  and I don't add too much because Julian claims too much can add a sour taste to the dish)  I seem to get my curries wrong whenever I add it, though that seems to be a coincidence only :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Surely you have that back to front Phil?  Methi leaf (Kasoori Methi) is very much a component of many BIR dishes. Ground methi seed is undoubtedly a component (of curry powder if not added on its own) but in what way is its aroma BIR like? I just went and had a good sniff of my admittedly unfresh, ground methi seed and I can not relate its aroma to anything BIR like - or do you mean when it's cooking perhaps?

No, I meant the raw smell : I have just been to the spice cupboard and sniffed my own supply, and the aroma I pick up is the same aroma as I detect coming from the vents of BIR kitchens and also the same aroma that I exude from my skin after eating BIR food.  What is interesting is that my local convenience store, sub-continent run (not sure which part) do not stock ground methi nor do they use it in any of their own foods : methi leaves, yes; ground methi, no.

** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2013, 05:43 PM »
...This is the one I bought:

Aye, that's the stuff, right enough. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to balance precise quantities of the loose dried leaves in a teaspoon. Take a large, equivalent pinch of the leaves and, as Axe, says, rub it between the palms over the curry pan. Sorted! :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Thanks Naga. I've just made this recipe, it's currently in the fridge marinating until tomorrow and smells wonderfully already.

I hope it tastes good, as I had to use tikka paste instead of tandoori paste as I didn't have the latter.

Offline adamavfc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2013, 08:23 PM »
can i use CA Tandoori spice mix for the spice mixture needed for this recipe?

Offline Mr Madras

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Made this twice now and it's simply the best I've ever tasted. Used the chicken in a tikka madras with absolutely superb results!  :)

Offline mixedcream

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Hi all, currently have some of this marinating in the fridge. I too was uneasy about using the pre-made paste so I've substituted with tamarind paste as this seems to be the main reason for it.

I'll cook it tonight and eat some. The rest is heading for a biryani I think.

©2024 Curry Recipes