Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 187253 times)

littlechilie

Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Thanks UF, I am fond of this recipe but have had no time to cook lately. After 12 months rehabilitation from a operation im just about able to cook. But I will never get the strength I had back in my arm, so marinated recipes are perfect for me.
If you have any other recommendations please let me know.
Many thanks

Offline hukkas

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Apologies if someone has suggested this, but it's a really long thread!

I decided to test out a theory; that this marinade would make excellent pakoras.

Here's what I did:

- Made up the marinade as per the recipe. I added chicken breasts, because I was making tikka for a CTM.
- Added some chicken thighs, in slices approx 1.5cm wide
- Marinated overnight
- Patted the chicken thigh slices dry(ish) with kitchen towel
- Added some of the marinade to a bowl (I used a strainer, because my G&G was a little on the chunky side)
- Added gram flour
- Added some additional water
- Added a pinch of additional salt
- Added a little extra Kashmiri chilli powder
- Combined to make a thick batter
- Coated the chicken pieces
- Deep-fried the chicken pieces (about 5-6 mins at about 180 deg C)

In my humble opinion, it worked out really well.

Some pakora sauces seem to be slightly on the acidic side, which I love, but because the marinade is quite citrusy, I reckon a milder - perhaps yoghurt-based - sauce might be better with it. But whatever floats your boat!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Blade's tikka re-visited (was: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs)
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2020, 05:51 PM »
I have for some time wanted to try Blade's tikka, but only since the purchase of the Tepro grill have I been sufficiently motivated so to do.  My starting point was Blade's recipe, which I slightly re-formatted then printed and laminated :

Blade
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:24 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Blade's tikka re-visited
« Reply #323 on: April 12, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Well, it was OK (certainly moist) but I found the lemon too dominant.  Probably my fault for not pro rata-ing the marinade when I discovered I had less than 2/3 of the amount of chicken that Blade specifies.  I took only four pieces out tonight to try, and what I have now done is remove half the remaining marinade and replace it with Greek-style yoghurt.  More tomorrow when I have tried the next batch (there should be sufficient for at least three meals).

** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Hi Phil i only add 2 tbsp lemon juice at the start and leave for 30 minutes or so. I also cut chicken breast/thighs into quite large chunks because it is easier to marinade and skewer when cooking then just cut into smaller bite-sized pieces when cooked.
I have been using this recipe for years now and have a few different variants of it depending how i will cook the chicken/meat.
I also use it for marinading lamb chunks but i do use the 4 tbsp lemon juice and leave the first marinade bit, 2 tbsp lemon juice for around 2-3 hours but drain this off and carry on with the recipe.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 13, 2020, 09:41 AM »
Many thanks for the feedback, UF.  All suggestions and experiences noted, but as regards "chunk size" I find that about seven chunks (one from the thinnest end, a little longer than the rest to compensate), then cut longitudinally and then across into 2 x 3 pieces gives me really large chunks (far more than a mouthful) that fit very comfortably onto a 1/4" steel barbecue skewer (absolutely essential for the Tepro, to avoid having to keep removing the chicken to turn it).  Each chunk would then give me three mouthsful or so.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:46 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 13, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Many thanks for the feedback, UF.  All suggestions and experiences noted, but as regards "chunk size" I find that about seven chunks (one from the thinnest end, a little longer than the rest to compensate), then cut longitudinally and then across into 2 x 3 pieces gives me really large chunks (far more than a mouthful) that fit very conmfortably onto a 1/4" steel barbecue skewer (absolutely essential for the Tepro, to avoid having to keep removing the chicken to turn it).  Each chunk would then give me three mouthsful or so.

I do that with the tail end, then after marination fold it then skewer, i also slice the cuts across the breast diagonally, several chefs i have seen say it makes the meat more tender by cutting through the fibre, i havent tried to prove it i just go with it lol.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:15 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 13, 2020, 07:07 PM »
Well, day-2 (a further four big chunks) was significantly better than day-1.  As I has hoped, the yoghurt masked the overpowering lemon flavour, and today's tikka was a beautifully well-rounded dish.  I have yet to attempt tandoori chicken, and I am by no means certain that I will ever get even near the flavours that I remember from the Agra in Whitfield Street all those years ago (a flavour that was so addictive that my girl-friend and I went back every Saturday for months).  So now, I suppose, I have to start searching the forum for "XXX's tandoori chicken

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 13, 2020, 08:00 PM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:52 AM by mickyp »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

©2024 Curry Recipes