Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 187220 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I've not posted much recently, but I've been working away to try and come up with something new. This recipe was inspired by a recipe that used tamarind. Honestly guys, you really should try this if you get a chance as it beautiful.

600g Chicken  - 4 or 5 breasts
1 hpd tbl Pataks tandoori curry paste (the KEY ingredient as it includes lots of tamarind)
1 tsp mint sauce
1 hpd tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
2+2 tbl lemon juice (Jiff is ok)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 dsp spice mixture (equal parts ground coriander, turmeric, garamasala, curry powder). I use this same mix for my curries.
1/4 tsp orange food colouring (much nicer than red)
1 lvl tsp methi
1 lvl tsp salt
2 tbl veg oil
3 tbl water

1. Chopped chicken breasts into 2 or 3 pieces each
2. Mix in 2 tbl lemon juice to the chopped chicken, leave for 15 mins
3. Meanwhile mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl (including the additional 2 tbl lemon juice)
4. Add the runny spice mixture to the chicken, cover and leave in fridge for 2 hours minimum .
5. Put 3 of 4 pieces of Chicken onto skewers.
6. Heat oven grill to highest temp and leave on full blast for 5mins to ensure it is HOT
7. Place skewers on a dish where both ends of the skewer are supported at both sides of the dish making sure the dish is deep avoid the chicken touching the bottom (ie ensure the chicken is suspended)
8. Place dish under grill (I try to get the chicken pieces about 2 inches from the grill element0
9. Cook for 4 minutes, turn once and give them another 4 mins.

Let the tikka rest for 5 mins before eating,. They freeze really well.

This recipe is actually better than anything I've eaten in a BIR.. honestly.

Using Blades recipe, I have modified it slightly and use Pataks, Tikka paste not Tandoori paste. Plus instead of using 1 desertspoon (10ml) of spice mix, I use 7.5ml of spice mix and 2.5ml of tandoori masala spice mix. I also only use 1/4 tsp of Kashmiri Mirch (Chilli Powder) but that's just because one of my kids don't like it too hot. I can always compensate for heat when making the final curry.

I also use orange food colouring as all Chicken Tikka I've had in BIR's has always been Orange, where the Lamb Tikka is Red.

Anyhow, here I was at 10:00hrs this morning, cooking it on the barbeque in the Garden. What a way to spend a Monday morning :)

Looking forward to the Garlic Chilli Chicken recipe tonight. I even picked 8 fresh green chilli's off my bush for tonights recipe. Will let you know how it goes later :)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Hello i am new to this, quick question , on the list of ingredients its says 1 DSP of spice mixture, is that the spices in equal parts which equate to just 1 dessert spoon or 1 dessert spoon spoon per spice ?

sorry for asking

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2009, 05:34 PM »
equal parts which equate to just 1 dessert spoon

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2009, 06:35 PM »
cheers for that quick reply UB , i have read lots of your posts and find them very interesting

i am away to make my marinade now and will cook tomorrow lunch time, will post my results

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I never thought I would marinade without using yogurt but after using BLADE's recipe for the first time some six months ago I was converted. I now use the recipe as standard preparation of all chicken dishes including my wife's Saturday's night favourite
chicken tandoori, bhuna gravy,mint raita and a selection of chutneys and nan. Will give your recipe a try and report back

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 03:36 PM »
your welcome gazman

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2009, 10:54 PM »
here is my attempt at this recipe

tasted lovley, great recipe

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2009, 11:21 PM »
Looks great Jimmy2x!

This is an excellent tikka recipe and the only one I use.

I do add some food colouring though, to get the authentic BIR look.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2009, 11:27 PM »
Here I am sat at work looking at your picture which looks great, do you do deliveries? ;D

This is my favourite tikka recipe, I too make it all the time, sometimes with lamb which is my favourite.

Will

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2009, 08:51 AM »
im having another go tonight, will post the pics. Got it marinating in the fridge the now.

I did it slightly diffrent, first i covered the chicken in food colouring (red) let it dry in, then i added the lemon juice for 15 mins.

I didint add pataks paste, i realy dont want to use any pre-made curry pastes, also the fact i couldnt justify buying a jar of it for a couple of spoonfulls, so i made up some tamarind from a block and added that. I then also like others added some yogurt ( 150ml) simply because the paste didint seem near enough for the 4 chicken breasts to marinate, this made it up, because of this i erred on the high side with the spices.

will take a couple of pics tonight, tikka is becoming a real fav in my household.

©2024 Curry Recipes