Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 187198 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Jerry
Like solarsplace
I used Tikka Paste, and only 2 tbs of Lime juice, (picked up the wrong bottle) and it was excellent, It never reached the curry stage, Me and the missus had it in tortilla wraps with lettuce, tomato and cucumber, and a bit of onion for lunch :o So making some more tomorrow.
OH well never mind ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:41 PM by hotstuff09 »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02 PM »
This sounds like one to try. I find sometimes when using yoghurt it gives the chicken too much of a cakey coating. I might try the lime juice instead of lemon too.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ChilliBeast

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2011, 12:45 PM »
This sounds like one to try. I find sometimes when using yoghurt it gives the chicken too much of a cakey coating. I might try the lime juice instead of lemon too.

Cheers,

Paul

Try thinning it out with a little milk.  :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Jerry
Like solarsplace
I used Tikka Paste, and only 2 tbs of Lime juice, (picked up the wrong bottle) and it was excellent, It never reached the curry stage, Me and the missus had it in tortilla wraps with lettuce, tomato and cucumber, and a bit of onion for lunch :o So making some more tomorrow.
OH well never mind ;D

Well played :)

Have you made it with lemon juice too? - if so would have a preference between lemon or lime?

Cheers

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2011, 01:40 PM »

Well played :)

Have you made it with lemon juice too? - if so would have a preference between lemon or lime?

Cheers

solarsplace
Made today's batch with Lemon Juice, I find both are good, But i tend to favour the Lime, just because i like lime, but that's just me

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2011, 05:51 PM »
solarsplace, hotstuff09,

thanks for heads up. will jump straight to the mods ie blades with 2 tbsp lime juice and the tandoori paste replaced with tikka paste.

will make it for one night next week and report back.

many thanks.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2011, 06:59 PM »
best of luck Jerry, Hope it works for you ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:11 PM by hotstuff09 »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2011, 11:23 AM »
will post pics when server is up.

tikka was good. i think perhaps with hindsight i should have used the full amount of lime juice (lemon dressing) as i felt the taste lacking zing (used 2 tbsp which is my norm when recipe calls for 4 tbsp).

found it very easy to make. i felt somehow as if it needed more mint or more ingredients to broaden the taste.

well worth making though and useful in terms of understanding tikka and what makes it tick (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4968.msg54192#msg54192)

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Hi Jerry
I agree with you about the mint, couldn't really taste it in mine, But the Lime was enough for me ;D
Out of the three recipes that you mention which in your opinion is the number one (don't want to put you on the spot or anything ;))
never made a tikka before,(Or had one from the T/A) So would like another one to compare it with

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2011, 03:39 PM »
hotstuff09,

clearly each has their own taste buds to please. i know that several tikka recipe on the site are very good (ifindforu, dipuraja, CA's, Blades, jb's being examples in no particular order). i must admit i really gelled with the lasan tikka and would put that as my no1. i don't mess making it - it all goes into bowl, mixed and then the raw chicken in. i use 45ml yogurt, black cumin and 1 off bengali bay cut up.

best wishes,

©2024 Curry Recipes