Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 188593 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11 PM »
This has been a useful discussion but I realise I was wrong to start it in this thread which is about a specific recipe.  I wonder whether a friendly passing moderator might split the last 17 posts out of this thread into a new one?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2011, 03:04 PM »
I would expect one flat domestic teaspoon to weight a little more than one flat measuring teaspoon

Doesn't this contradict your own test results?

The test shows a flat teaspoon to weigh 5g so if it were slightly rounded it would probably weigh 6-7g which is exactly the result you got with the a flat measure from the measuring spoon.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I would expect one flat domestic teaspoon to weight a little more than one flat measuring teaspoon

Doesn't this contradict your own test results?
Yes, but you omitted the key part ! 
Quote from: Axe
It supports my theory that a measure is a slightly rounded measure when using a regular spoon.

If "a measure is a slightly rounded measure when using a regular spoon", why did I not get a heavier weighing from the regular spoon than from the measuring spoon ?  Or am I reading you wrongly, and you are not saying (as I thought) that when one uses a regular spoon one normally gets a rounded measure, but rather if one uses a regular spoon then one should ensure that it is rounded ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:00 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I see where I have confused the issue, yes the latter is correct. I should have said that to correctly measure an amount using a regular spoon, one should ensure it is slightly rounded to ensure it is the same capacity as used by a measuring spoon.

This also opens up a can of worms on the 'what is a spoon measure' as I have always considered as teaspoon is 6ml not 5ml. But for the sake of this topic, i'll leave it there.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Getting back on topic I've just tasted my first tikka made to Blade's recipe and I can see what all the fuss is about - it was gorgeous!  The methi lingers in the mouth long after the tikka has disappeared into the stomach  :)

Does anyone know how long the Pataks Tikka paste will keep in the fridge?  At current rate of consumption it's going to be quite a while before I finish it off.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2011, 03:02 PM »
Hi natterjak

Each Pataks I have bought has normally got this information on the side of the jar - it either seems to be 6 weeks or 6 months in the fridge after opening.

Is this missing from your jars?

Never had any problems with Pataks going off - even the 6 week spec ones. The key thing is to always use a clean spoon etc and keep the lid on tight.

Cheers

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2011, 03:03 PM »
Does anyone know how long the Pataks Tikka paste will keep in the fridge?  At current rate of consumption it's going to be quite a while before I finish it off.
I would have thought that so long as you leave an excess of oil in the jar (such that the solids are covered), it would have a 'fridge life of at least six months.  There's almost nothing in it that can "go off" per se, so it is more a question of the spices remaining fresh and moist.

** Phil.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Hi

Pataks Tikka Paste - once opened, store in a cool, dry place and discard after 6 months.

straight from the jar.

Barry

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Thanks all, I shall RTFM in future.

Offline Jenk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2011, 12:37 AM »
Hmmm i logged on today to get the prawn toast recipe but then started reading this and its 7:35am and Im craving chicken tikka!!! LOL

Guess it will be prawn toast and chinese beef curry tonight for dinner and i will make chicken tikka to have tomorrow :)

If it turns out ok, I will post pictures!

Emma x

©2024 Curry Recipes