Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 188924 times)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2011, 08:30 PM »
I'm marinading this for the 4th time now for a CTM for tommorrows dinner.
I upped the methi to 1 TBSp as I love the smell/taste of it.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2011, 08:09 AM »
OMG OMG OMG I can't believe it :o
For as long as I can remember I have been marinating my chicken in Pat Chapmans tikka marinade recipe, before adding it to my curries and I thought it was the dogs b*****ks. This morning I found this recipe and decided to give it a go. OMG it is the elephants b*****ks, it is the best ever.
When it came out of the grill I tried a piece and I wasn't 100% sure, it tasted great but a little bit too tangy, then I added it to the curry and tried it, wow! my tastebuds went on the biggest roller coaster ride ever and they are still on a high. I don't think I would alter anything about this recipe, it's the holy grail of chicken tikka.
Thank you blade1212 for sharing this recipe.

It's even better if you cook it on a charcoal BBQ :)

Offline MrCurryLover

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2011, 09:34 AM »
It's even better if you cook it on a charcoal BBQ :)
I invited some curry loving friends around last week and cooked it in my tandoori oven. They said it was the best that they had ever tasted, far better than anything that they had eaten at a restaurant :)

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58 PM »
wow...tickle my taste buds...absolutely outstanding recipe
had neighbours in garden on a sunny sunday afternoon. tikka was marinading from saturday afternoon.quickly rustled up THE BEST TIKKA I've ever had in 10 mins...neighbours think I'm Gordon Fcukin Ramsay :)
I'll definitely make this every other week

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2011, 10:00 AM »
Made this a couple of days ago, let it marinade overnight, and had it in curryhells north indian special.
Really good tikka, and easy to prepare.Flavours penetrated deep into the chicken.

Many thanks for posting Blade!!

Matt

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Dear Mr Blade,

Just wondered if , as the original recipe is over 5 years old, and with nearly 10500 reads, you have modified it in any way from the original on page 1 of this thread?

Matt

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2012, 12:11 AM »
I made this recipe again this evening, with the same slight change I made about 5 years ago -  I use 3 tbls yoghurt instead of 3 tbls water. That's the only change.

I was reminded how truly great the recipe is. I've had chicken tikka starters in a fair few different BIRs over the past few years and NONE of them were better than what I made tonight, thanks to Blade. One or two may have been as good, but none were better, and most were not in the same league.

I used the simple gas grill on my gas cooker. The tikka was in quite large chunks of chicken breast, left to marinade for just 2 hours. The raw, marinaded chicken was positioned on the lowest level, with the grill on the lowest flame setting. The tikkas had 5 minutes on one side, then I turned them over for 5 minutes on the other side. Next I covered them with a piece of foil and they had a final 5 minutes under the grill. The result was so good, that it strikes me as totally pointless and futile to spend any more time playing around with tandoor ovens. Maybe the BIRs use tandoors to cook tikkas or maybe they don't (most of the time) but whatever they do, the results are no better than I achieved with Blade's recipe and the use of a simple grill.

Even the chicken was the cheapest possible - from Lidl - with 30% off because of the nearby due date.

Offline benbob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2012, 10:03 AM »
After a trip to my local Indian store for the supplies I didnt have I knocked up this recipe yesterday afternoon. I tried to resist but couldn't and last night cooked 4 pieces. Considering the chicken had only been marinating for 6 hours I was mightily impressed with the results, moist and full of flavour and not spicy. Something important when I'm feeding a 5 and 8y/o :)

Yes I know I use red colouring, but my boys insist on 'red chicken' in their biryani  ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:19 AM by benbob »

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2012, 03:02 PM »
this is a weekly make for me

cooked this today and kept chicken on skewers then "flamed" them over my gas hob

brilliant lovely "bbq" burned edge look and tasted even better than usual

Cheers :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Has anyone done a back to back with this recipe made with tikka paste and tandoori paste and which did you prefer? I have a batch of chicken marinating now (using tikka paste) and had thought of doing just such a taste test but didn't have enough chicken  :( maybe next time

©2024 Curry Recipes